Which is Better Automatic or Manual Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
meh, they are both the same to me imo

neither is faster than one another, all depends on the GEARS ratio
auto is nice for stop and go traffic
manuals are nice to play around with

however, if you are a good driver you can do anything to the car regardless of auto or manual (donuts, drifts, break torques, etc)

i like my auto-stick though :) no clutch and change gears when i want to :)

hi, im wondering which one is the best to take because if i take my test in an automatic i cant drive a Manual but if i drive a manual i can drive both soo which one is better

Autos are easier to learn on. However you will not be able to drive Manual for a centain period of time.
Manuals mean that you can drive any thing.
Manuals are are cheaper to buy.

i kno that some Automatics are Faster than manual transmissions but what do you think
As an inexperienced driver, that should be the last thing you should be thinking about right now.

and how fast you can change the gears

auto switches gears faster due to not having to decelerate, push in the clutch, shift the gear box, depress the clutch and go back onto the gas.
auto is all computer controlled.

power shifting helps manual switch faster, but puts to much strain on many things.

auto does red line most of the time, getting out of the "power zone", so you can use 1, 2, D, OD and switch yourself, however....same thing goes for that as does power shifting.

i've seen 4 speed autos kick the poop out of 5-speed and even 6-speed manuals.
it's the gearing...and of course the obvious bhp and ft-lb

watch a few episodes of "pinks" and you see a lot of autos beating manuals and vice versa.

auto switches gears faster due to not having to decelerate, push in the clutch, shift the gear box, depress the clutch and go back onto the gas.
auto is all computer controlled.
Depends on how the auto is made, and how skillful the person is.

most auto's will change gears faster than manual's. But not all the time.
There can be people who change gears really fast.

Also, it depends on what RPM you change the gears at. You can't usually control that in an auto.

auto does red line most of the time, getting out of the "power zone", so you can use 1, 2, D, OD and switch yourself, however....same thing goes for that as does power shifting.

:confused::confused::confused:

autos redline most of the time??? uhmmm what?? most of the time, as in you floor the accelerator most of the time?

it occurs to me that not many of you know how to drive... auto OR manny.

in MOST auto trannys, selecting the gears manually will not make it shift, it will only prevent it from shifting out of the gear which you selected. either way, this puts no more strain on the engine or tranny than a normal shift would because it's all computer-controlled.

power shifting in a manny is rarely faster than normal shifting (unless you're an idiot and don't know how to shift properly). power shifting will also wear out your clutch REALLY REALLY fast unless you have some expensive high performance aftermarket clutch

sheesh

If there's a lot of traffic you'll be better off with an auto probably - it gets annoying to shift all the time.

My 6 speed gets annoying in traffic, but I dont have any regrets.

For *most* applications a manual is faster than an auto - dependent on the driver of course (he needs to know how to shift).

You lose power through an automatic transmission due to the torque converters and stall converter. You can run higher stall converters and such, but then your car becomes less streetable. A manual transmission cant usually handle the higher horsepower of drag cars etc.

/end random talking

I am confused about your first post, if you take a test in a automatic transmission vehicle you can't drive a manual legally or something?

For me the manual is better. Because when out wheeling in the mud it is a big advantage to get the R's up then dump the clutch in some cases.

On the road I really don't have a preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom