Being on call is the suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

veedubfreak

Golden Master
So this is my weekend to watch the servers to make sure the backups dont fail. Anyone else live by the pager, or in this case, by the PDA to check the server automails?

Yea I got a few like that, mostly media requests. Office girls want to go an get drunk on a Friday as soon as possible.

Any idea what aplication he uses for that? I just get a email from backup exec telling me there was a problem.

Remote log in is your friend.

Ya...funny story about remote access. Apparently someone forgot to put me in the administrators group. I get emails sent to my PDA telling me if the backups failed or succeeded. One of the jobs failed, so i tried to log in to rerun it, and couldnt >< So i had to call the boss and get him to do it.

Also, in backup exec there are ways to set it to send different things. You can have it send a message to a pager/phone number/email/etc. We just use regular emails then check said email on our PDA.

Mostly the reason i dont like being on call is that i have to get up early to check the emails :( I hate getting up early on the weekends.

I am on call 24/7/365. Stop whining. Since I am the entire IT staff I have to be available at all times. They paged me last year while I was in the middle of the lake fishing. I had to load the boat and come in to work. For 5 minutes. A user couldn't get on the internet because her security certificate had expired. One phone call fixed the problem.

I am on call 24/7/365. Stop whining. Since I am the entire IT staff I have to be available at all times. They paged me last year while I was in the middle of the lake fishing. I had to load the boat and come in to work. For 5 minutes. A user couldn't get on the internet because her security certificate had expired. One phone call fixed the problem.

I made sure to take a job where being on call 24/7 was not in the job description. I drink entirely too much to have to be on call 24/7 :p But i'm sure you get paid quite well for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom