Bank/Debit Card Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Direland

In Runtime
Evening Chaps,

Thought I would share my tale of woe with you all. Last week I checked my bank statement to see I was missing £83.40 from my account. I knew I hadn't spent that much on anything in ages so I gave my bank a ring. They told me that it had come from MFI (a furniture shop over here).

I've never bought anything from MFI in my life! I got put through to the security/fraud department of my bank and went through the process of telling them about it. They said as it was still in the processing stage, they couldn't do anything about it and to ring back the next day. So I did.

When I rang them back I also checked my statement again. The money had been refunded to my account and the entry from my statement had disappeared. The bank had no idea either. They cancelled my card so I had to wait for a new one.

My new card arrived yesterday and I thought all was fine and dandy until I checked my balance again yesterday. Yet another £83.40 had been removed from my account! I phoned the bank up and they said it was from Ancestry.co.uk and it had come out the same day but only appeared today. I've never even signed up to ancestry with a free trial. Never.

Long story short the bank said it would take 10-14 days to see whether I would get a refund and get everything sorted. They still have no idea about the first payment appearing, getting refunded and then disappearing either.

So now I'm going to be quite short of funds after my bills come out this month. Bah.

Sorry for the long post. :(

/rant over.

That sucks man who do you bank with? I am with the co op an there a much better bank than most.

Also call MFI an tell them the score they might be able to get CCTV if it was used in a store.

I'm with Natwest, never had a problem up till now.

Thing is, my card has never left my person since I've had it. It's always in my pocket, never misplaced it or anything like that. Somehow they managed to get some sort of details and used it online or something, although I regularly check my computer for viruses/trojans/keyloggers etc.

All banks are ****, I had an account with Wachovia and I quit my job and left 50 bucks in my bank account for emergencies, started my new job went to the bank to put my paycheck in....and it says i owe roughly 400 bucks. turns out my card was being used for a good 2 months (i had been jobless for 3 months) and they CONTINUED to let the card be used even after the 50 bucks had been gone, and the **** part about it is, not once did they call me or send a letter saying i owed them money or anything. I had to find out in person. The banker even tried to steal my paycheck by refusing to give it back after she said it would be used to repay it. Grabbed it out of her hands told her to **** off and never looked back.

This is one of the reasons i dont use debit cards. It's in a credit card companies interest to keep you around, so they will actually work much harder at fixing fraudulent charges than the bank will. Also, well's fargo is one of the worst banks i have ever dealt with. They lie straight to your face when you sign up for "free checking" then they nickel and dime you to death.

Get a discover card. They're like pitbulls with it comes to fraud.

yea ive heard very good things about discover cards, but then again ive never looked up any bad things about it either

About the only bad thing, is they are pretty sheisty when it comes to limits. I have had mine for going on 8 years and still only have like a 6k limit, and it gets used daily. My other credit cards which sit in a drawer and never get used get upped left and right.

My credit union was pretty good about fraud. I had some jerk steal my numbers somehow, make a fake card, and was using it in a gas station in Mexico. Tried to make $200 some worth of purchases and got away with $60. My credit union fruad dept called me and deactivated my card and so forth. had to spend like 3 hours at the local branch filling out paper work and stuff, though. And it took like 2 weeks for that $60 to get reimbursed. At least I got it back, though.

My parents are both with Barclays, and from what i can tell they seem really good. If one day my parents randomly go to some shop and spend like £200 that they've never done before, the bank rings them a few hours later to check it was them.

They even rang because when we went to france although they new we were there, they still rang us because we bought an expensive bottle of champagne from a Spar (unusuall).

They seem to really care about fraud.

I also know of my uncle who has a 360, and on his bank statement it shows how he buys like an xbox game every month. but one month he bought 2 ps3 games without buying a PS3 (used a different card) and they rang him up for that, too.

i have had my amazon card for years and have less than 2k on it...though I guess it doesn't really count as a full fledged cc :p

home depot gives you 5k to start! dizzang! lol

it's a good thing I don't ever really need as much as most others do

also wachovia does suck...but what can we really do? maybe wamu is good? washington mutual...

or how about suntrust...

in the US just in case non US were being confused :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom