"Avatar" Breaks $2 Billion Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the girl from Precious wins Best Actress, I will lose all respect for the Oscars. She played her role just fine, but the role didn't require acting - just standing with a blank stare, not talking for the whole movie. I also thought it was a pretty average movie that's just receiving a lot of attention due to what it's about.
There is this guy I know from my college and I was talking about actors to him once and he is in and basically runs theater club and seems like a pretty smart guy. Well he said that performances like the one Monique did in precious are the hardest, they don't seem like it but they are.

That being said I don't have an opinion cause I haven't seen that movie, and don't plan on it.
Christoph Waltz deserves it though... he was sooooo good.

Sandra Bullock is nominated for "Blind Side" I haven't seen it so I can't say one way or the other whether she deserves it.

Call me a Cynic (because I am) but I don't care for the movies that play the race card and throw in some cheesy acting hah..

Meryl Streep was borderline annoying in Julie and Julia, but I guess she pulled off her role convincingly.

James Cameron should get best director for Avatar for sure :)
129072731893857969.jpg

Call me a Cynic (because I am) but I don't care for the movies that play the race card and throw in some cheesy acting hah..

Your talking about Invictus right? jk. I didn't really like that movie though... rugby... bah!

I had a funny conversation with some South Africans in a pub in Dublin and they told me that Matt Damon had a horrible fake accent. I lol'd.

There is this guy I know from my college and I was talking about actors to him once and he is in and basically runs theater club and seems like a pretty smart guy. Well he said that performances like the one Monique did in precious are the hardest, they don't seem like it but they are.

That being said I don't have an opinion cause I haven't seen that movie, and don't plan on it.
Christoph Waltz deserves it though... he was sooooo good.

I wasn't talking about Mo'Nique. She's up for Best Supporting Actress, which I think she DOES deserve - she was great. (she played the mom)
Gabourey Sidibe is up for Best Actress (main girl in Precious), which I'm almost amazed at even the nomination tbh.

Regarding Sandra Bullock - I'm actually a huge fan. I think she has become considerably more attractive as she's aged, which is definitely a rare sight for me. I really enjoyed The Blind Side, though I don't think Bullock's acting is what made it a good movie (she was alright - but she didn't hold it together like Clooney did for Up in the Air)

Anyways, I just finished watching An Education (up for Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Adapted Screenplay).

Carey Mulligan is the one up for Best Actress in it, and I think she was amazing. Extremely pretty girl and great acting - unfortunately the movie has not gotten as much hype as probably any of the other Best Picture movies, so I doubt she'll win, but that's just how the oscars go.

I'm almost done watching all nominated movies (other than the animated ones - I fell asleep in the middle of Up, which everyone said was fantastic, but I've given up on animated movies a long time ago... although I did enjoy WALL-E).

I'd rank the movies (from any nominated category):

The Blind Side
An Education
Up in the Air
The Hurt Locker
Invictus
District 9
Precious
Inglourious Basterds

Inglourious Basterds is simply a Quentin Tarantino film, so you either like it or you don't. I do like his work, but I'm not in love with it enough to put this movie above some of the other ones this year. I think Avatar is becoming a victim of way too much anti-bandwagon. Last year was the perfect example of this. The Dark Knight was the most hyped movie ever. Everyone saw it, and everyone loved it, yet come awards season, people decided "nah, we can't give best picture to the movie everyone liked the most". When Slumdog came out, everyone thought it was great. Then when it won, everyone was like "sooooo overrated". So dumb - Slumdog was a great film.

Avatar is getting the same treatment now. People go in expecting the best movie to have ever existed. That's just not fair, especially when I'd argue that this year has produced a pretty weak Best Picture nomination list. All of these movies were good, but not great. I really don't see this year as much of a competition, though I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar didn't win simply because of the anti-bandwagon.

Up in the Air was probably Clooney's best acting of his career, so props to him on that.
The Blind Side has been picked to pieces with criticism, yet I don't know a single normal person who didn't love the movie when they were watching it. Back to basics - **** the film critics, what about the 99% normal people? It was a great movie.

Invictus was carried by the plot, not the acting imo. Morgan Freeman was great, but it wasn't a Best Actor role... and I thought Matt Damon struggled with the accent (even though I'm also a Matt Damon fan).

I don't quite understand the hype about The Hurt Locker - I thought it was good, but I'm definitely surprised at how much attention it's getting.

I feel like District 9 has been somewhat forgotten. Almost everybody agreed that the first half of the movie was a bit dull, but it really picked up in the second half. Also don't forget how amazing the special effects were - too bad it's in the same year as Avatar.

Overall, I don't really like the Academy Awards, simply because there are way too many people with way different tastes and opinions on movies. I enjoy a good discussion, not seeing what some random people decide are the best of the year.

Why isn't Robin Williams up for an award for "World's Greatest Dad" ? THAT was a heck of a movie, the best roll he's ever played imo. If you haven't seen that movie, I suggest doing so...it's so politically incorrect and full of dark comedy...excellent excellent movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom