Arkansas tho

^ more like it's your favourite /r/gatekeeping copout :p ya could neva understand you silly forigners!

Not really TBH. We have local laws (city/town), county laws (which sometimes run contrary to local laws, as in dry county vs wet town), state laws, and Federal laws. Which ones supersede the other used to be very cut and dried but that is no longer the case.

Not really TBH. We have local laws (city/town), county laws (which sometimes run contrary to local laws, as in dry county vs wet town), state laws, and Federal laws. Which ones supersede the other used to be very cut and dried but that is no longer the case.

Something I learned when I watched Designated Survivor, is that I always thought that the military was entirely federally controlled. But in the show one of the state governors called upon some part of the military which could be controlled at a state level to block some federal event happening and the president could do **** all about it. I'm guessing it's not entirely realistic, but it was interesting nevertheless.

^ more like it's your favourite /r/gatekeeping copout :p ya could neva understand you silly forigners!

Not to start some kind of argument, but reading reddit and the internet in general it seems like muricans misunderstand the rest of the world more than the rest of the world misunderstand the US. It makes sense really, the whole world gets a lot of news and event and TV and **** from the US, but not so much the other way around.
This thread and the insurance topic combined with net neutrality arguments kinda proves otherwise. The biggest argument that's always misunderstood is taxation. Federal vs state. I see a ton of US people not understanding it fully but still arguing "taxation is theft" blindly.

We have the same thing :p local council laws, shire laws, state law and federal law. But I don't tell everyone they know nothing unless they've lived in my neighborhood for at least 5+ years

And tbh I'd more agree with kman, sometimes I'm not sure that it isn't the other way around as when talking to muricans the majority seem more confused than otherwise, because they rarely share the same interpretation of any major laws/rules/mandates/etc. Dunno why, but it's hugely different to other countries in that way.

Last edited:
We have the same thing :p local council laws, shire laws, state law and federal law. But I don't tell everyone they know nothing unless they've lived in my neighborhood for at least 5+ years

And tbh I'd more agree with kman, sometimes I'm not sure that it isn't the other way around as when talking to muricans the majority seem more confused than otherwise, because they rarely share the same interpretation of any major laws/rules/mandates/etc. Dunno why, but it's hugely different to other countries in that way.
Because as was said already most Americans don't have a firm understanding of county vs state vs federal jurisdiction and laws. It's why California has a straw ban right now but the rest don't as an example.

Something I learned when I watched Designated Survivor, is that I always thought that the military was entirely federally controlled. But in the show one of the state governors called upon some part of the military which could be controlled at a state level to block some federal event happening and the president could do **** all about it. I'm guessing it's not entirely realistic, but it was interesting nevertheless.

Probably the National Guard, aka weekend warriors. The Guard is a semi-local military branch. They have maneuvers like one weekend a month and a week or two sometime during the year. They are mobilized for domestic threats, such as natural disasters, rioting, whatever. They are also called up and deployed alongside the regular military at times.

Probably the National Guard, aka weekend warriors. The Guard is a semi-local military branch. They have maneuvers like one weekend a month and a week or two sometime during the year. They are mobilized for domestic threats, such as natural disasters, rioting, whatever. They are also called up and deployed alongside the regular military at times.
You forgot to mention they're also the laughing stock of other military branches.

Back
Top Bottom