Arkansas tho - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Default Re: Arkansas tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
^ more like it's your favourite /r/gatekeeping copout ya could neva understand you silly forigners!
Not really TBH. We have local laws (city/town), county laws (which sometimes run contrary to local laws, as in dry county vs wet town), state laws, and Federal laws. Which ones supersede the other used to be very cut and dried but that is no longer the case.

Win10 Pro x64 / Mionix Naos 7000 / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical

R.I.P. Father Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Not really TBH. We have local laws (city/town), county laws (which sometimes run contrary to local laws, as in dry county vs wet town), state laws, and Federal laws. Which ones supersede the other used to be very cut and dried but that is no longer the case.
Something I learned when I watched Designated Survivor, is that I always thought that the military was entirely federally controlled. But in the show one of the state governors called upon some part of the military which could be controlled at a state level to block some federal event happening and the president could do **** all about it. I'm guessing it's not entirely realistic, but it was interesting nevertheless.

AMD Ryzen 2700X
16GB DDR4
EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black
WD Blue 250GB SSD / WD Blue M2 500GB SSD / SanDisk 240GB SSD
WD Black 2TB HDD
Asus AMD PRIME B350M-A Mobo
Seasonic 860w Platinum PSU
Fractal Design Core 1100 mATX Case
Sony Bravia X900F 49" 4K HDR Monitor

kmanmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
^ more like it's your favourite /r/gatekeeping copout ya could neva understand you silly forigners!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
Not to start some kind of argument, but reading reddit and the internet in general it seems like muricans misunderstand the rest of the world more than the rest of the world misunderstand the US. It makes sense really, the whole world gets a lot of news and event and TV and **** from the US, but not so much the other way around.
This thread and the insurance topic combined with net neutrality arguments kinda proves otherwise. The biggest argument that's always misunderstood is taxation. Federal vs state. I see a ton of US people not understanding it fully but still arguing "taxation is theft" blindly.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Quote:
We have the same thing local council laws, shire laws, state law and federal law. But I don't tell everyone they know nothing unless they've lived in my neighborhood for at least 5+ years

And tbh I'd more agree with kman, sometimes I'm not sure that it isn't the other way around as when talking to muricans the majority seem more confused than otherwise, because they rarely share the same interpretation of any major laws/rules/mandates/etc. Dunno why, but it's hugely different to other countries in that way.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
We have the same thing local council laws, shire laws, state law and federal law. But I don't tell everyone they know nothing unless they've lived in my neighborhood for at least 5+ years

And tbh I'd more agree with kman, sometimes I'm not sure that it isn't the other way around as when talking to muricans the majority seem more confused than otherwise, because they rarely share the same interpretation of any major laws/rules/mandates/etc. Dunno why, but it's hugely different to other countries in that way.
Because as was said already most Americans don't have a firm understanding of county vs state vs federal jurisdiction and laws. It's why California has a straw ban right now but the rest don't as an example.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
Something I learned when I watched Designated Survivor, is that I always thought that the military was entirely federally controlled. But in the show one of the state governors called upon some part of the military which could be controlled at a state level to block some federal event happening and the president could do **** all about it. I'm guessing it's not entirely realistic, but it was interesting nevertheless.
Probably the National Guard, aka weekend warriors. The Guard is a semi-local military branch. They have maneuvers like one weekend a month and a week or two sometime during the year. They are mobilized for domestic threats, such as natural disasters, rioting, whatever. They are also called up and deployed alongside the regular military at times.
Win10 Pro x64 / Mionix Naos 7000 / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical

R.I.P. Father Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Probably the National Guard, aka weekend warriors. The Guard is a semi-local military branch. They have maneuvers like one weekend a month and a week or two sometime during the year. They are mobilized for domestic threats, such as natural disasters, rioting, whatever. They are also called up and deployed alongside the regular military at times.
You forgot to mention they're also the laughing stock of other military branches.

Access to my Plex PM me.