Apple capitulates on winXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

horndude

Fully Optimized
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1636

Apple is gonna allow mactel users to install XP with their help and blessings, I wondered how long that would take. Guess Apple sees the writing on the wall and wants to attempt to stay in business selling something other than iPods. Other than their laptops though the next question would have to be, why? Too easy to just go out and buy commodity hardware cheaper that performs better to begin with, at least for now anyway.

could be the beginning of it, hard to say, computer biz goes thru some strange growing pains sometimes

Seems opposite to me of what should be happening. The only value Mac still has in the computer world is their OS IMO. They should be putting out a version of OSX for non-macs. What's the point in paying double for the hardware if you're still just going to run Windows? Just to have a pretty hippy box?

Well, Apple's not licensing Windows, its just allowing the user to install at his or her whim. If a Mac owner happens to have a WinXP install disk lying around, he or she would be able to install it on their Mac. Its mainly pointed towards switchers who still have alot of Windows applications that they want to be able to use. On Apple's site, they clearly state that any harm done to your computer by using Windows is purely your fault. They do not support it in any way. It also says that Apple will never sell-out to Microsoft. Plain and simple.
Personally, I don't think BootCamp is a great idea... but then again, I have no use for Windows so I would think that way. :rolleyes:

I agree with you idiotec. If OSX was capable to be installed on my PC, I would be triple booting with Windows, OSX, and Linux for sure!

horndude said:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1636

Apple is gonna allow mactel users to install XP with their help and blessings, I wondered how long that would take. Guess Apple sees the writing on the wall and wants to attempt to stay in business selling something other than iPods. Other than their laptops though the next question would have to be, why? Too easy to just go out and buy commodity hardware cheaper that performs better to begin with, at least for now anyway.
Well, there are a number of reasons that Mac users or potential switchers might want this:
-Windows games. People may want to use OS X for most purposes, but we all know there isn't much in terms of game availability for it.
-Certain Windows-only software that is NECESSARY for whatever reason. (Though one would think virtualization would suit this better)
-A fall-back for would-be switchers, which could push some people who are currently on the fence right over. This may be a big reason Apple decided to do this.

Anyway, these are the same reasons users dual-boot Linux and Windows. Now you can triple boot all three if you want on new Apple hardware

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't expect them to be dropping OS X. Lots of development money is still going into that, and as you said, why would anyone buy there hardware over commodity hardware? It's still the main selling point of those computers. This isn't really the first danger sign of anything. The first real indication of something like that going on would be if they ever sold Macs with Windows pre-installed.

I'd be very upset if they killed Mac OS. As much as I'm happy using Linux as my main OS, when it comes to the professional audio software, and various commercial software products that don't have FOSS equivilants, it's no longer an option. At this current stage, I'd really hate using Windows for any of that. I really don't like using Windows for much of anything, come to think of it.

"Getting KR^nK of the Ghizzorz... omgzorz..."

... If Apple computer switched all their Macs with PC processors, (x86) then they are still able to install whatever they want reguardless. Unix, Linux, Sun-OS, Pharos, ect... Ther is no restriction anyways. :confused:

It would be interesting to have all three of the good OSs on one computer. :drool: :cool:

well, there are some dangers to this, like for example now for the first time ever a person can compare OS's against each other on the same hardware and see which one performs better........no excuses, no rigging the tests, no cheating

For OS X that is a very very dangerous thing to do, I have a hunch, with Intel hardware especially, OS X may get its butt handed to it performance wise versus other OS's running on identical hardware. Not that OS X has ever been a real strong performer speed wise, cause it hasnt at all, but now Apple cant hide this fact any longer. It will do better in some tests vs windows for certain, but overall, till OS X86 is improved by quite a bit, windows will likely beat it easily in many categories. Its an interesting turn of events methinks.

"G!7-3R-D0N3!!..."

PowerPC was never (In most areas anyway) Anything like x86, so we never know what's going to happen.

And why are you talking about Windows XP as if it's actualy a FAST operating system? Windows XP is slow as heck, for crying out loud. :p :p lol

::pS:: I don't think I've ever came across a RIGGED Review of the two...:confused: :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom