Apple Boot Camp discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its no different than the war of proprietary file formats.....both M$ and Apple have been putting out file formats which only work with their software since day 1, why? Its a form of protection against competition, bad for users but great for business. A truly good company put out products which can stand on their own merits wthout stupid tricks like this.

Both Apple and M$ are publicly traded corporations, they have one goal and one goal only, make money and keep the shareholders happy, the end users mean nothing, and they both act like it.

Business ethics? HA, what business ethics? Both companies have made fortunes stealing other ideas, being patent trolls, and every other trick in the book with as little actual hard work and innovation as they can get away with, been that way since the beginning. IS what Apple is doing right? No probably not, but its par for the course. Is M$ doing the right thing, nope, probably not, why should they? Nobody works very hard at stopping them do they?

Ive used OS X, have machine up and running it right now, same with winblows, also have 4 machines running linux. Only one out of the bunch with the guts to run on its own merits letting its results stand for itself is linux, and it didnt cost me a dime, think about it.

The computer and OS market is just like any other, you vote with your wallet, dont like what you see, vote differently, until then, deal with the way things are like it or not. Right now that means being stuck sucking on what Apple and M$ throws at you if you want to play their game and use their stuff, I expect nothing less than both companies to act like two snottyl ittle kids in a sandbox together. The bootcamp issue is just another example.

Apple is neither a hardware or a software company, they make neither, they just contract out and put together a package and sell it. M$ is a software company, they dont make hardware, and only focus on one hardware architecture for the most part. Yet they compete against each other, really a funny situation when you think about it.

my 2 cents

why would microsoft stop something that i just making them more money by allowing more machines to run their os. OSX is mucho superior anyway

Eagleboy said:
Sure, it's great to run dual boot of the two most popular OS options, but there's a terrible thing that they're doing. They're letting Mac users dual-boot to Windows, but not letting Windows users dual-boot to OSX. Apple made it illegal to alter the code of the previously open-source OSX to make it work on Windows PCs, and for the purpose of restricting Windows users only.

That's bad etiquitte, and I personally think Windows should jump ship and make it illegal to run Windows NT code on Apple machines. You know, just to get back at them. But, that's just my opinion - let's hear with other people have to say.
Firstly, OS X was never open-source. Secondly, you're making an argument as though the two companies are on the same plane. They're not. Microsoft's business model is to have Windows running on as many machines as possible. They do not sell hardware. Any compatible box can run Windows, and they want as many running it as possible. Suddenly, Apple makes their boxes compatible, only with a different boot method (EFI), and now provides a tool to emulate the boot method Windows can run from (BIOS). This would be GOOD for Microsoft. They have a new segment of users to sell Windows to. By making it illegal to boot Windows on machines made by a specific hardware manufacturer, they lose the potential customers who something from that specific hardware manufacturer.

Apple makes their money as a hardware company (well, now largely as an MP3-player manufacturer, but that's not relevant). Their hardware is largely overpriced for the specifications you get; people buy it because of the OS. The OS exists to sell the hardware.

Only one out of the bunch with the guts to run on its own merits letting its results stand for itself is linux, and it didnt cost me a dime, think about it.
Indeed.

I don't see what the big deal is. :confused:
People have been virtualizing Windows on Macs for years.
BootCamp is the same thing MINUS the virtualization.
Apple looses no major sales--Macs have been ultra-exclusive since day one and not selling their software out to companies like DELL or HP won't loose them any cash.
Microsoft gains no major sales--You had to buy Windows to virtualize it, you still have to buy it to use BootCamp. You don't really make profit if your sales stay the same.
BootCamp changes absolutely nothing.
It's actually the smartest move Apple has ever made (aside from the original iMac). This enables them to be a world computing company. A Macintosh is now the only computer you will ever need and it'll just keep getting better as time goes on. There's no doubt. Steve Jobs has alot of passion for his company and everything he does is in the company's best interest. So you can bet that Apple will be bigger than ever within the next couple of years.

The only reason Microsoft has for being angry is that Apple thought of this first. ;)

mac_mogul said:
The only reason Microsoft has for being angry is that Apple thought of this first. ;)
It's not that Apple thought of it first... it's that Apple's software completely prevented it from running on the x86 platform. There was just no way to install and run the Mac OS on these Windows machines.

actually OS X has NEVER been 100% open source, they just recently shut down the rest of it that was open source

horndude said:
actually OS X has NEVER been 100% open source, they just recently shut down the rest of it that was open source

Hmm... I guess I should do more research on this issue.

Interesting ideas so far in this thread.

The General said:
Games are extremely fast for a laptop. 52.34fps doing the "Video Stress Test" in CS:S @ 1440x900 and all settings on full.

lol, CS:S is one of the least taxing games out there! And it sucks....
Try running FEAR or OBLIVION on that laptop at Highest settings 1440x900.

Enjoy the slide show...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom