appeals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliasaid

Fully Optimized
this is for regular posters that get banned for violating a certain rule a few times..

i think it would be a good idea for people to be able to appeal their ban after a period of time.. something like 1 month.. after they've learned their lesson, etc.. and if they get banned again, then its a permanent ban. good idea? i think so.

the appeal would not guarantee getting unbanned.. the mods can vote on it or something... orr.. there can be like a veto system where if 1 mod doesn't want them to come back, they don't.. these little details can be worked out later.. but the general idea i think is good.

your thoughts?

People who are banned (aside from spammers) are generally given several warnings, several chances to change their ways and learn their lesson before actually being banned. Having an appeal or temporary ban would be regarding as "just another 2nd chance" and wouldn't fix anything. That's like letting juvenile delinquents back into the school they were expelled from a month before. I don't think it would solve anything and may make the situation (so to speak) worse.

a "verbal" warning is different from actually being banned for 1 month. even murderers in jail get second chances.. serve 25 years or less or w/e ..

this isn't meant to "solve" anything.. its like a "compassionate" thing... and they can always be rebanned.. its not that difficult...

Being an active member of an online forum is like holding conversations in real life. There is a certain level of maturity and edicate (sp) that go along with it. If one contributes meaningfully they will be welcomed. If they decide to be immature *******s and serve no purpose but to detract from the forum or conversation, they will be "Banned" just as in real life they would be shunned and more or less turned away. This level of sustained immaturity can be seen in various Banned members when they come back with aliases posting the same ridiculous and childish crap that got them banned in the first place (Santoast for example). If a permanent ban hasn't disuaded them from this type of behavior how do you expect a temporary ban to or the promise of an appeal? It creates an environment of unlimited forgiveness that in the end benefits no one.
Besides, think of one banned TF member that contributed consistently and meaningfully to this forum that should have been "appealed" and that you would love to see back (Save for Flanker, we all know his situation and I don't think he should be brought into this, he had his chances).

lol.. dude.. you're not understanding me...

just as in real life they would be shunned and more or less turned away.

if a friend was being really annoying, and you decide not to talk to them again.. then a few months later he/she appologizes and says that they won't be annoying anymore, you'd say "NO!!" ?

This level of sustained immaturity can be seen in various Banned members when they come back with aliases posting the same ridiculous and childish crap that got them banned in the first place (Santoast for example). If a permanent ban hasn't disuaded them from this type of behavior how do you expect a temporary ban to or the promise of an appeal?

lol.. obviously those people's appeals will not be accepted... if someone, even after getting banned is still causing trouble, they wouldn't be approved by the mods.. thats why i said its not guaranteed.. if hte mods feel like the person is only out there to annoy people or w/e.. then they don't have to accept the appeal..

It creates an environment of unlimited forgiveness that in the end benefits no one.

lol.. DUDE.. where did you get that from?! unlimited? i said if after their appeals they get banned again, its permanent..

don't just throw stuff out there

Besides, think of one banned TF member that contributed consistently and meaningfully to this forum that should have been "appealed" and that you would love to see back

we don't have to "love" to see them back.. but umm.. i was thinkin more along the lines of myself :D i always feel like i'm gonna get banned one day.. (i bet that trotter itching for the chance to ban me.. ;) :p)

also, depending on what you mean by "contributing", i can think of john3. he seemed to be friends with a few people.. i guess he contributed socially... but as for his computer advice ................. :p

(Save for Flanker, we all know his situation and I don't think he should be brought into this, he had his chances).

i think that saga happened when i was only a new member.. what was the deal with that? i never quite understood...

lol.. dude.. you're not understanding me...
I understand exactly what you're saying, I just don't agree with your idea.

lol.. DUDE.. where did you get that from?! unlimited? i said if after their appeals they get banned again, its permanent..
Not unlimited in a literal sense exactly, but in the sense that you're giving people yet another chance to make jack offs of themselves that is totally undeserved. Besides, if this appeals deal gets implemented (the mods will never go for it), who's to say we'd then stop at one appeal? It won't be long before another fellow decides an even better idea would be to have two appeals and TF finds itself on a slippery slope. Any number of appeals would just create confusion and more work for the Mods who work hard enough to keep this forum clean as it is without having to weight the options of allow banned members to return.

we don't have to "love" to see them back.. but umm.. i was thinkin more along the lines of myself :D i always feel like i'm gonna get banned one day.. (i bet that trotter itching for the chance to ban me.. ;) :p)
I think Trotter secretly [i[loves[/i] banning people. I've never done it before, maybe it's one of lifes secret thrills :p

also, depending on what you mean by "contributing", i can think of john3. he seemed to be friends with a few people.. i guess he contributed socially... but as for his computer advice ................. :p
john3 got banned? Seriosuly? I guess I didn't know...

i think that saga happened when i was only a new member.. what was the deal with that? i never quite understood...
He told another member to go kill themself. This was the straw that broke the camel's back, as he already had a stack of warnings for other comments/flames/arguments etc. before this incident. I liked Flanker but I understand the reasons for him being banned. Prime example of a fellow who kept coming back too....

Anyways I'm not sure why I'm fake arguing with you, probably because it's 3:30am where i am and I can't seem to sleep. I don't dislike your idea I just don't see how it will benefit TF in any real way and it's kind of a hassle. I don't think the Mods will ever go for it either. I can't wait to see which of them will respond to this thread. I hope Trotter does and posts some really cool smiley image and gifs and stuff. Maybe he'll even get crazy and ban you for creating such a topic and stickies it as an example of what happens when you get in his way :D:D:D:D

LOL... if getting banned is what it takes to get this thread stickied, then so be it :D .. then i'll just appeal the ban :D

anyways.. ya i sort of got the hint that you don't agree, hehe... i just don't agree with your reasoning...

if 1 appeal was approved.. it doesn't mean that 2 would be...

anyways.. if mods approve this idea.. i'll send them free computer parts* ;)

*parts may or may not be in working condition.. parts may or may not be useful.. mods pay shipping ;) :D

.. just getting the fine print out of the way..

Jam3s-Zer0 said:
Lol after I read the first post I knew you would bring john3 into it.

ya.. i don't know him or anything... and i was never friends with him.. but him getting banned still kinda bugs me cuz he was one of the people that really seemed to like posting, hehehe.. he was pasionate about TF! anyways.. last thread about this got locked, so no more talk of john3 or any other banned members.. keep the talk on the idea of appeals!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom