Anyone make money doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea. I never charge people because they are friends and family, but they always insist on paying me. So in the end I get anywhere from $50-$100 per incident. I'm pretty sure if I set out to make money from it I would get nothing...that's just the irony of life I guess...haha.

well after im done school, my friend has aslked me to join up with him in a bussiness as i am in a growing area it would be a great place to open a bussiness, he wants to open a one stop source for everything gamign including pc, and consoles. we would rent and sell games, and movies, sell gaming oriented tv's, have budget gamer builds, even ave gaming pc's for rent incase anyoen wants a lan part, you would have to make a safety deposit of course, anyway, we want to have everything gaming, weve actually discussed it quite a lot, it would be very interesting none the less.

This all sounds like fun.
I doubt I have the abilities yet, to do the things you guys are doing.
I just like to pick parts and build comps. I am not to familar with repairing hardware or that oriented in software beyond what comes with building comps.
But I am working on increasing my knowledge. If you guys know of ways to help me increase my abilities in building/repairing I am all ears.

Saxon - I believe you can make a living off a business model of computer support to individuals, you just have to have an extremely high number of clients. But I agree, the best way in the 'support' field to make good money is to support businesses since they tend to stick to one computer company (until they are unhappy with it) and need support more often than the home user.

I would do it for money, except my dad can build PC's as can my uncle and grandad - my sister can fit ram and stuff, and probably if she took her time build a full PC.

So basicly i have noone to build pc's for because they all know.

My friends seem to think upgradeing PC's is stupid, they'd rather spend £100 to get someone to plan and build there pc for them even though i offer to do it for them.

Saxon - I believe you can make a living off a business model of computer support to individuals, you just have to have an extremely high number of clients. But I agree, the best way in the 'support' field to make good money is to support businesses since they tend to stick to one computer company (until they are unhappy with it) and need support more often than the home user.

That is why I listed option two, because unless you have a store front in a high trafic area home jobs are intermittent or very unwilling to pay a semi decent rate. A shop front operation is good because you get walk ins and call outs. Not to mention all the sundry stuff like printer ink, paper, blank disks etc...

Gotcha, i totally agree. Just saying you can support yourself by repairing people's PC's, you just have to have a rediculous amount of customers to support your business.

As for the price, i totally understand where you are coming from. It seems more often then not people are not willing to pay to fix their computer, they would rather have an unqualified or semi-qualified person do the repair for them on the cheap. Then when it doesn't work they come calling for real computer support. Sad part is it ends up being more money b/c more damage is done in comparison to if they just came to me in the first place.

Aint that the truth, I have lost count of the ammount of times this kid who lives by mine tried to repare PC's only for me to get a call saying erm we need help paul was here last night an made a total hash of it....
Thing is when i did business was charge about half of what the compertition did, this gave me more jobs more work an a very sizeable client base, you will be surprised about that you think tat you won't get half the jobs but people will throw money at you when you give them fast and correct results.

Yup, that is where i'm at right now. I've found a lot of people talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. Not saying i know everything or am a computer genius, but i use the proper techniques and can fix 99% of the computer problems the average user will encounter. I've heard a lot of stories about my customers grandkids coming over, or their neighbors kids saying they can fix an issue, just to muk up the whole computer.

Just the other day, something as simple as a registry cleaner these kids (the guys nephews) came over saying they could fix it and TOTALLY F'ed up the computer to the point that I had to do a system restore. They did everything from uninstalling is office to installing a remote desktop software. Everything but cleanup his registry.

So what took them about 4 hours to totally F up was fixed in a 5 minute system restore and a thirty second install of Ccleaner (Spybot does it now too).

I guess it is frustrating more than anything.

You wouldn't believe what it's like in small business mate where there is one guy who is a "wizz" at minesweaper and becomes there in house IT guy, I had one who thought it was ok to mess around in MS config on the company server ended up me fixing it on sight at 10pm, had another called moyra who called me an said is it ok to delete some files because she dosent use them so i said what are they an she was trying to remove system32.dll when i said you cant because it's essential i had to argue that it was because she couldn't use the computer with out it and she tried any way an I got a call 3 hours later asking why cant she delete it (face palm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom