Anyone make money doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do repair work/occasional (rare) builds for people. Just more of a hobby...people all know I'm good with computers and just end up calling me when they have a problem, and I usually get some spare cash from it.

Don't ever let them know you LOVE doing it and that it's easy as crap.

My parents just go crazy when they see me putting time and money into my computer. But when its the family computer that breaks, then its a completely different story. Especially since I m the one paying to fix it.

I cant seem to make money off of it because most of my friends are cheapos who refuse to spend the money for quality parts.

same. my friend some how thinks hes will be satisfied with a 8600gts... idiot! i recomended a 9800gx2 that did fit into his budget if he got a duel core cpu instead,/e8400. btu he insists he needs a q9450... doesnt realise a duel core wit ha nice gpu will be better then a quad with a crap gpu.

same. my friend some how thinks hes will be satisfied with a 8600gts... idiot! i recomended a 9800gx2 that did fit into his budget if he got a duel core cpu instead,/e8400. btu he insists he needs a q9450... doesnt realise a duel core wit ha nice gpu will be better then a quad with a crap gpu.

Seen that before on my cousin's build... 6200 passive cooling gpu with a dual core!

I know a guy with that mentality too. He had a 7600GS that he added to a crappy eMachines that he had. Then he upgraded to a evga 650i, 2gb ram, and I think an e6600, still using the 7600GS. Then the mobo fried (if you saw his case (a hacked up dell, to fit the ATX) you'd know why) and so bought a new 680i, 4GB RAM, and a Q6600, still using the 7600GS. Then he bought a 8800GTS 640MB, which he paid like over 200$ USD for early this year.

Sigh....

I do it for a living. Not as much computer building as fixing. Probably only 10 or so percent is actually computer building. Mostly hardware repair and diagnosis.

Same a Surge, not enough to quit my day job YET.

I make a little pocket change doing some repair work here and there. I charge very little, actually, since it is family and coworkers. Many times I do it for free.

Here lately I have been swamped, though. In the last two weeks I have worked on three laptops, three desktops, and have another coming this evening to drop one off. I haven't made a dime off of any of them, and I doubt I will charge the guy coming tonight.

Yeah, I'm pretty soft-hearted. Even when I do charge I let them pay what they want to pay me. I have gotten from $20 to $80 for cleaning up a computer (spyware and stuff), which the vast majority of what is brought to me.

Well if any one wants to make REAL money from IT there is 3 models that I see as viable to make a living from full time without getting too specialized :
1) Business only support & service. (my old model)
2) Shop front operation selling components with a pinch of the above.
3) High end component reseller

There is a number 4 but I haven't got it off the ground yet and it is rather specialized but we shall soon see if it works out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom