Anyone on here build and sell computers for a source if income?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't do it for friends or family, when someone asks you if you know anything about computers tell them 'no, I don't even like using one'. You'll end up fixing stuff for free, and god forbid you build a computer for them they'll talk sh*t behind your back on how you screwed them while you take a loss on their computer(it happened to me). Now I don't even build computers for my parents. I had to just tell people "no I'm not going to" and look like a pr*ck. At least that way I only look like one once, instead of each time some B-hole tells a story about how I robbed him.

If you going to build computers for people then understand your always going to be undersold, so you'll have to find people who want service that big companies are unwilling or unable to supply. If your just going to service them then the good jobs will be people just wanting an upgrade. Bad jobs will be the moron that tried to upgrade his own computer and failed, not only that but they'll most likely won't tell you that they did whatever to break it. As harper said there are better ways to make money.

This would only be a ide job type thing while I'm in college. I'm in school part time, already make 12.50 an hour at my current job, so I'm fine as far as money goes. It'd just be nice to make money on the side doing something I know well and enjoy doing. If I can come out with $100 a computer, that'd be just fine.

My only concerns with it is how much Windows costs, because we all know, people that are going to need a computer built for them, most likely has never heard of Linux. I can already get prices for computer parts at cost here locally, for most parts that is, so that wouldn't be a huge deal.

I'm located in Chicago, and I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I have a few business models I might be able to work off of, but I'm not sure if it will be cost effective. Even if it just makes me a few bucks, it'll be fun and I can put it on a resume if I start a real company. Just wondering how far along you got with this, and if you have any tips or want to bounce some ideas off of each other.

Well you've heard the pro's and con's, if you're still thinking about it then just go for it.
Good luck with it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom