anyone ever experience an "unexplained event"? ghost, UFO, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what do you think the odds are that a planet capable of sustaining/creating life could be formed? Maybe it's a zillion to one, and we're that lucky one.

These are the odds ;)
Drake equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the OP, nope.

And, I believe there is extraterrestrial life in the same way that believe there is a tooth fairy (or rather, don't). Despite the obvious differences in likelihood (aliens being more likely), since there's no definite proof of either they may as well be equally as likely. I have the same view on religion (I'm just stating that, no-one comment on this or we all know what will happen :p)

The supernatural is not some thing that I talk about with my father. He had this ability to embarrass me and my friends with claims that a house might be haunted with a ghost or some thing along those lines.
He's also made some comments to me that where in my opinion nothing more that metophoric rubbish in my opinion.

UFOs? Now that is altogether more highly unlikely.
You think it's unlikely that flying objects exist which people haven't identified?
Any alien civilisation sufficiently advanced enough to travel the huge distances between stars/planets would hardly go for a cruise in Earths atmosphere just to snatch up a person to experiment on. ffs.

Again, no-one can discount the possibility of other sentient life forms in the universe, so these wild 'sightings' abound.
It is highly probable that at least the vast majority of (alien) UFO sightings are false, possibly fake.
Though whether any of them are actually true (even if it's just one or a few) is unknown. We don't really have enough evidence to say.
nope you don't! You hope there is maybe, you can even believe there is, but you can't state it as a fact.
Odds are there might be, but probability isn't a guarantee
If you want to get pedantic, nothing can be absolutely known beyond your own existence ("I think therefore I am").
So in order to have any knowledge beyond that, we have to accept that while we cannot absolutely know anything else for certain, it is far more useful to accept ideas as fact if they have an extremely high degree of probability.

For example, I assume that the universe exists.
Do I know with absolute certainty that it does? technically no. However the probability, while not absolutely 100%, is so close to 100% that it may aswell be (the difference between 100% and the actual probability is incomprehensibly small).

People might argue that the probability of life occurring on a random planet is very small. And yes, that seems to be the case:
And what do you think the odds are that a planet capable of sustaining/creating life could be formed? Maybe it's a zillion to one, and we're that lucky one.
However, this is looking at things the wrong way.
The probability of life occurring on any one or more planet(s) in the universe is equal to the probability of life occurring on one random planet multiplied by the total number of planets in the universe.

And just how many planets are there in the universe? If you think there are trillions of trillions of planets, you'd be off by an extremely large margin.
The number of planets in the universe is an incomprehensibly large number, and even the best estimates are likely to be off by a massive degree.

Pick a random planet, and the probability of life on that particular planet is really small.
Consider every planet in the universe, and the probability of life on any one or more of them is so close to 100% that it may aswell be.
*edit*
Actually, no. It is 100%, Because we know for a fact that life has occurred. Here. On Earth.

But I guess the question people really want to know is whether any of them are intelligent and technologically advanced enough to have been here at Earth.
The problem with that is we don't even properly understand how 'it' happened. The theory of evolution is still just that, a theory.
And the colour red appears red.
Just as the theory of gravity is simply the current working model, built on evidence, detailing how gravity (the label for the known phenomena of what happens) works, the theory of evolution is the current working model, detailing how evolution (the label for the known phenomena of what happens) works.

Under the scientific process, data and evidence to discover what happens or can happen.
Once known physical phenomena (eg gravity) are discovered, we look at the data and circumstances in which it works and try to describe it. A new (untested) description is called a hypothesis.
Once a hypothesis is made, people attempt to make testable predictions - and then test them.
for example, in the case of gravity, one might try to describe the mathematical relationship between mass and gravitational acceleration. Then, using that mathematical description, try to predict how much acceleration would occur given the masses of two objects (the earth and a bowling ball, or the earth and the moon)
If, using repeated (and repeatable) tests with a range of circumstances, the mathematical model accurately approximates the results, the hypothesis then becomes part of a theory describing the known phenomena.

In the instance of evolution, it is known that genetic frequency does change over time.
The theory of evolution is the result of a buildup of data, evidence, predictions and testing to describe and model how genetic frequency changes over time.
One that's slowly getting better and more accurate as our understanding of how things work increases, yes, but still incomplete.
I think you're confusing completeness with accuracy; They're not the same thing.

Einstein's relativity gives accurate models of motion, gravity, and energy transformation, but is not complete.
For instance, I doubt that 'nothing' suddenly exploded with a big bang and created the billions of stars/galaxies/lifeforms everywhere.
And no scientist even attempts to make this claim; it is not part of the big bang theory, and neither is the subject of evolution or abiogenesis.
The theory of the big bang, the theory of evolution, and the theory of abiogenesis are each separate models describing different aspects/events of the universe or processes within it.

You think it's unlikely that flying objects exist which people haven't identified?
yep. And by flying objects I'm not talking about asteroids etc (which aren't exactly 'flying'), I'm talking about planes, 'spaceships', etc.

It is highly probable that at least the vast majority of (alien) UFO sightings are false, possibly fake.
Though whether any of them are actually true (even if it's just one or a few) is unknown. We don't really have enough evidence to say.
agreed, that was my point.

If you want to get pedantic, nothing can be absolutely known beyond your own existence ("I think therefore I am").
So in order to have any knowledge beyond that, we have to accept that while we cannot absolutely know anything else for certain, it is far more useful to accept ideas as fact if they have an extremely high degree of probability.

For example, I assume that the universe exists.
Do I know with absolute certainty that it does? technically no. However the probability, while not absolutely 100%, is so close to 100% that it may aswell be (the difference between 100% and the actual probability is incomprehensibly small).
lol, you always argue the case of 'nothing can be certain'. You just can't do that. It'd be like going to a test, failing, then when the lecturer informs you that you've failed you say 'well you really can't know that for certain'. That argument is pointless.
People might argue that the probability of life occurring on a random planet is very small. And yes, that seems to be the case:

However, this is looking at things the wrong way.
The probability of life occurring on any one or more planet(s) in the universe is equal to the probability of life occurring on one random planet multiplied by the total number of planets in the universe.
But what IS the probability of life occurring on any one or more planet(s)? AFAIK there's only EVER been one planet found so far with life on it, let alone intelligent life. Also, see next paragraph

And just how many planets are there in the universe? If you think there are trillions of trillions of planets, you'd be off by an extremely large margin.
The number of planets in the universe is an incomprehensibly large number, and even the best estimates are likely to be off by a massive degree.

Pick a random planet, and the probability of life on that particular planet is really small.
Consider every planet in the universe, and the probability of life on any one or more of them is so close to 100% that it may aswell be.
Not so. Our calculations of the probabilities of life on other planets is based of our understanding of how life comes to be on a planet in the first place. And, as I said in my earlier posts, that understanding is far from being complete OR fully accurate.

In the instance of evolution, it is known that genetic frequency does change over time.
The theory of evolution is the result of a buildup of data, evidence, predictions and testing to describe and model how genetic frequency changes over time.
Agreed. However, no one has ever proven HOW life can form from inanimate gases/solids/etc. So while we may be able to prove that genetic makeup changes dramatically over time, we still can't explain how the first step happens.

And no scientist even attempts to make this claim; it is not part of the big bang theory, and neither is the subject of evolution or abiogenesis.
The theory of the big bang, the theory of evolution, and the theory of abiogenesis are each separate models describing different aspects/events of the universe or processes within it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, I must admit I'm not fully up to speed with the latest info here, but the theory of evolution is meant to explain, among other things, how the universe started correct?

office politics said:
I figure some people here may have similar stories.

Yes, actually. My grandfather swore to my grandmother that he would, "haint you, old woman." Yes, haint. After he died there was a lot of strange things that happened in that house. you would hear someone walk across the kitchen, turn on the water, then turn it off... but when you went in there the sink was dry. Or the bathroom door would shut and the light would come on and then go off after a minute or so. Or the front door would swing open... even if it had been closed securely or even locked. All of this stopped when my grandmother died.

Was it a ghost? I doubt it. I personally don't believe in ghosts and such. while I did witness these things they don't bother me. It's like my mom said, "Even if it was Mr. Trotter he was only mad at Texie [my grandmother] and not us."

yep. And by flying objects I'm not talking about asteroids etc (which aren't exactly 'flying'), I'm talking about planes, 'spaceships', etc.
There are top secret planes and flying machines being made by the US military.

lol, you always argue the case of 'nothing can be certain'. You just can't do that. It'd be like going to a test, failing, then when the lecturer informs you that you've failed you say 'well you really can't know that for certain'. That argument is pointless.
How is that the same as the point I made?
If I was taking a test, then presumably the answers it is based on have a scientific basis.

*edit*
The point I was making is not that we should deny ideas on the basis that we can't know absolutely. The point was that given sufficient evidence we can be sure of a lot of things, despite not technically being absolutely proven.

There is a related logical fallacy here that people often fall into; the argument from ignorance. It is the idea that an idea is true/false because it can't be proven absolutely to be false/true.
But what IS the probability of life occurring on any one or more planet(s)?
100%. We know for a fact that it happened here.
AFAIK there's only EVER been one planet found so far.
We haven't actually got much data on many planets beyond our solar system.

Not so. Our calculations of the probabilities of life on other planets is based of our understanding of how life comes to be on a planet in the first place.
That's a non-sequitur. and whose calculations are you referring to specifically?
And, as I said in my earlier posts, that understanding is far from being complete OR fully accurate.
It isn't complete, but it is accurate.
Accurate because it's the result of being based on data, evidence and testing.

Agreed. However, no one has ever proven HOW life can form from inanimate gases/solids/etc.
Proven absolutely or have extremely strong evidence for?
So while we may be able to prove that genetic makeup changes dramatically over time, we still can't explain how the first step happens.
Abiogenesis describes the formation of amino acids and self-replicating molecules under the early earth conditions.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, I must admit I'm not fully up to speed with the latest info here, but the theory of evolution is meant to explain, among other things, how the universe started correct?
No, evolution is only the model of how genetic frequency changes. Nothing more.
The big bang theory is the current working model describing the big bang.

As to the origin of the universe, or even if there was an origin, there is currently no scientific theory for that.

To be frank I know ghosts don't exist, now talking as a soldier her we are for the most part a superstitious lot, **** I freak out if I can't find my first bull ring cartridge case I know because I have shot better without it than with it that it has no magical power but it makes me feel better for having it. Same goes for my first watch, my nan got me it when I was a kid and this thing is kept on me at all times if i don't have it on me I don't feel right weird I know but I still don't feel 100% without it.

But the whole ghost thing is a load of crap, when I was in afganistan I constantly had reports from first timers saying they can see "Shapes" inside the wire and the roumour got around that they where ghosts because part of the base they where saw on was fought over prity hard at one point, well I know that's crap because I did wire walks and never saw anything other than the odd insurgent who manged to get in and they didn't last long, because the whole area is covered with Razor wire and fragmentation mines.

UFO's I do believe in but not of the ET type, I know there is aircraft out there that I don't know about and I know when not to ask questions. I just log the sighting and then move on.

Alien life however I am a staunch believer of, I doubt it has visited earth ever (although it could happen on the far outside chance) my belief is that if there is intelligent alien life out there they would look nothing like us and they might only bee as advanced as us give or take 200 years. But I would be happy to know of microbial life on another world.

I would in my perfect world know everything, but I know this is a far from perfect world and I am enjoying the ride of discovery and keep a open mind I ask you all to do the same.

When I was little I guess I used to tell people that things moved stuff in my room... I still can't find that MF in telescope! But anyways... I say if it happened on earth why can't it happen somewhere else? Like on MIB II when he opened the door and they were just a small locker on a bigger planet. Yeah that could be us. I also believe in the paranormal. I have doubts for most things about it BUT, I do believe its possible. Nothing is impossible, just highly implausible.

I do beleive in Alien lifeforms, and even advanced lifeforms like us.

I do not beleive in the paranormal though, the idea of something being invisible, and the changing it's state to visble, and then changing it's state so it has no collision and seemingly walk through objects, whilst not sinking through the ground, and then change it's state back to where it collides with objects is totally incomprehensible. And for all these things to arise from dead biological matter when one dies is an absurd idea which manages to break many laws of biology, chemistry and physics in one swoop.

One thing that gets on my nerves is scientists trying to find planets which are of ~30c, have oxygen and have water. It seems more likely to me that aliens have learned to adapt to other substances and in vastly different conditions than what are found on earth. Even some earth animals have figured out how to live off sulphuric acid

I still creep out when weird stuff happens though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom