Any drummers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M733mhz

Daemon Poster
Alright so I'm looking to pick up a new kit and I've come across two I really like. I like playing more mellow type of music but I live in south jersey and all anyone wants to play here is metal so I've been looking for a double bass set to cater to the style without having to buy a stupid chain link pedal, They're the worst in my opinion. I've narrowed it down the this Ddrum kit: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...Double-Bass-Drum-Set-with-Hardware?sku=445375

But for a little more there's this Blemished Pearl: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-Export-Double-Bass-7-Piece-Drum-Set?sku=449175X

Pearl is obviously the better known brand but I've heard nothing but good things about the Ddrum kit. I don't know if I like the setup on the cymbols so much with the Pearl but I have a feeling the hardware will be of a higher quality with the pearl. I'm kind of leaning towards the Ddrum kit just because I've had my eye on it for a while, The only thing I can't stand about it is that it only comes in silly looking colors, I'd love if they had it in a wood grain or something like that. I'm just wondering if anyones had any experience with the Ddrum kits, Sound quality, Playability, How long the hardware holds up, Things like that. I just turned 17 and still don't have a job (Ugh) so I'm really trying to do as much homework as I can before I throw up 600 on a new kit. Anyone who can help, It's greatly appreciated and it's always nice to talk to other musicians.

Any reason you say that or just because of the brand? I'm starting to lean more towards the Pearl. I think both are great kits but Pearl is just better known for quality. I have a few gripes about both kits and I'd much rather have only the tom at most coming out of my bass drum. The less stands sticking through my bass drums the better. It's starting to be a tough call and ofcourse neither of the music stores around here carry these type of kits so I'm kind of ordering blindly. I'm trying to find as many reviews and opinions as I can so it's not so blindly.

Do you really need two kick drums? I'd just get a double pedal if I were going to play music like that.

Well, I'm going for a double kick set because I don't like the feel of chain drive pedals and they're more expensive. I can get two Axis single kicks for about 100 a piece at the local guitar center. I can always convert it to a regular 5 piece or even a 4 piece if I'd like so it's kind of a way to have the best of everything.

Makes sense. Anyway, I've just never heard of ddrum, so that's why I suggested the Pearl. ;)

I love Yamaha drum kits, though. I used to have a Yamaha/Zildjian set. It was pretty nice. :)

I want to get another drumkit but I don't have room for it anywhere. :(

Yeah my friend has a yamaha recording series and the toms on it sound real nice. This is getting tougher, I hate things like this haha. There's always another option, I know either one I go with I'll end up kicking myself because of the other kits features or something. I really don't know at this point, I think I might end up going Pearl just because of the name brand and color choices, If I ever play out I don't want to show up with a kit that looks like I let a 5 year old loose with spray paint all over it. Eventually I'm just gonna get the Gretch catalina 4 piece for personal use only. I just need something that's sort of an all around kit for now.

Do you really need two kick drums? I'd just get a double pedal if I were going to play music like that.
Some people may like the sound of two seperate kick drums better than one quick drum being quickly beat by two mallets.

I've never known anyone with a really good drum set, but I remember the couple people I knew that had a double pedal, it seemed like the kick wasn't that uniform sounding. I think it was just this one dudes set in particular where I think he had a problem with one mallet not hitting as hard as the other. Don't know.

I need to learn more about drums. I'd like to learn how to tune them and things like that. It'd benefit me for when I have to record them and want to get the best possible sound.

Drum tuning is all a personal thing, Some guys like em higher, Some guys like em tuned lower. It all depends on the playing situation really. The one bass drum thing is absolutely true. It's more so for speed and feel, After a certain BPM the beats just start to sound mushed together, Granted that's a HIGH bpm, It's just better to have two things to do two jobs, Not one kick trying to do 2 jobs. The issue I have with the double/chainlink pedal is that the left side of it almost always feels slacky or just plain not as good as the right. 2 single kicks offers a much better feel and much better response. It's also cheaper to buy 2 singles then one of the double pedals. I personally like the double setup better, The chainlink pedals have more moving parts and require way more maintenance.

i'm a keys player, but DW and Yamaha all the way as far as drums.

Friend of mine has a yamaha custom 5-tom kit that i LOVE. Its too bad he sucks at playing (a couple of my other friends play the kit the way its supposed to be) and has no idea how to tune them (we re-tune them without him knowing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom