Anti Static Wrist Straps --- Does any one use them?

Anti Static Wrist Straps --- You You Use Them?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I would rather turn into a noose and hang myself with it.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never used one, and never had problems.

All you gotta do is touch metal (like your case) before you work on it and you'll be fine. It's not like you're a human tesla coil.

also the point isnt to ground yourself, which many of you are over looking, the point of it is to discharge static electricity which can easaly be done by contacting any sort of metal. hense touching the case. there is less of a danger to your more so a danger to your pc parts.

A harrowing example, ladies and gentlemen, of how easy it is to be misled.

"Just contact any sort of metal" he says. Just touch the mercury in your fillings... Oh wait, you already are.

The point IS to ground yourself. There's no other way of completely ridding yourself of the static charge.

I don't mean to poke fun at Poizen specifically, there are many more posts in this thread that make me laugh, and are incorrect. Many, many more...

I use one at school, but when I'm at my house I just touch my case before anything else. I should probably get one to protect my components... The worst thing about ESD is that it doesn't show up right after it happens; so you could go for months thinking your computer is fine and the suddenly it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

The worst thing about ESD is that it doesn't show up right after it happens; so you could go for months thinking your computer is fine and the suddenly it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Erm.. ESD is an instant thing. It happens, then it's gone. If it has any effect on anything, it'll show up there and then.

How could an instant discharge of electrons show up months later as a problem?

: roll-effing-eyes :

Lmao. Nice.

All I know is that I've never killed any components in the years I've been a tech without using a silly wrist strap. Properly grounded or not, you are discharging any built up static when you are touching metal surfaces; ie: the case chassis. Even when I have no choice but to stand on carpet, I've never had a problem.

So regardless of the exact definition of grounding, what's important is what you can do to not kill your components.

Now watch, I'll work on my computer later and shock my parts to oblivion now that I've said that. Lol.

When ESD was discovered it was when apple was showing off there computer's. They would be using the computer and it would stop working. They found that the CPU was bad in it; but the CPU hadn't been touched in a week or so. This problem kept on happening until Steve Woz (cant spell his name) noticed the spark and that's when it went bad (it went bad then because if you can feel the spark it is very powerful, most of the time when ESD happens you can't even feel it) after that he found out that he needed to ground himself.

This video enplanes it much better then I can: YouTube - The Shocking Truth

(Not aimed at charles scott because he's right)

a) Apple did not discover electrostatic discharge.

2) stfu (unnecessary, but worth saying)

iii) I'm not disputing the fact that ESD can harm ICs, of course it can.

5) Of course Steve Woz (sic) found out he needed to ground himself, that's the only way of ridding yourself of static charge.

g) I didn't watch the video. It would be boring.

X) I like deep fried chilli beef.

Let me clarify, Apple was one of the first to find that ESD hammed computer components and if you want to find out why ESD does not necessarily show itself right after it happens watch the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom