AMD CPU Heatsinks = :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've seen this at THG.

I thought only AMD Athlon XP processors and below don't have thermal protection...? I'm sure the AMD Athlon 64 processors and the newer AMD Semprons have thermal protection built into the processor.

Though, most of the motherboards for socket A processors have some form of thermal protection, like automatically cutting power from the PC if it the CPU gets too hot or if not CPU heatsink fan is detected.

The tube has been blocked at work as of a few weeks ago :(, but I know that clip. Yes, it was posted at THG, I think. (the one where they have the computer set up, and a monitor behind it playing some demo video loop, and in the middle of it, they take off the CPU heatsink....), yeah thats old. That was with the Athlon XP CPU's I believe... I will try to find the article.

EDIT: Hot Spot: How Modern Processors Cope With Heat Emergencies | Tom's Hardware /EDIT

The amount of people who use stock heatsinks = very little. Amount of people who pull their stock heatsink off their CPU while computer is on = none. Test&Results = pointless.

YAY!!! For Old News!

Removing any heat sink from any CPU is just stupidity.

positive7.jpg

The amount of people who use stock heatsinks = very little.

This info is VERY wrong.... Even though it would SEEM as though a VAST MAJORITY of computer users replace the stock cooling with aftermarket solutions, remember that the 'enthusiast segment' of the market, is a TINY SLIVER out of all of the PC users.

My computer is the only one, out of all the computers my family has that even has a aftermarket cpu cooler..... my parents pc's have just a cpu heatsync, a front fan and a exhaust fan.

I meant that as in the people who would even know what a CPU heatsink is. Not the everyday person who goes and buys an HP from bestbuy. Not that it has an relevance when the issue is what happens when you remove the heatsink, Which once again, is just pure stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom