Air conditioning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I am thinking about getting some wall mounted air con installed in my room. My room isn't too big, but i have so much hot electronic stuff in my room it gets real hot real quick - so much so we don't have the heating on at this end of the house because the stuff from my room heats it up so much. If it gets to hot in the winter, it's easy enough to just open the window and let some freezing air in. But when it hits summer and it's getting up to 90f outside (I know i know, not much to you guys in Aus/USA. But i HATE it) i feel like i am going to die :p

Problem is i have no clue about air conditioning. All i know is that its expensive to buy, and then it uses a crap load of power so it's expensive to run too. But it will be worth it. I have tried to look for air con but there seems to be about 10 different sorts and i have no idea which i need. I just want one which will go on my wall, and have the actual cooling unit on the outside wall round the back of my house.

I was kind of hoping that you people that live in hotter climates would be more clued up on air conditioning :grin: If anyone can point me in the right direction.. cool.

So... are you talking about a window unit, or one that requires cutting a hole? A window unit is super easy; the other not so much (obviously).

The main thing is choosing how many BTUs you want/need. You also want to balance that with the power usage of the unit (like looking at the mpg on a car).

They make units that sit on the wall on the inside, and has lines ran outside to the compressor/condensor, but, the compressor and what not, can not be too far from the inside unit, otherwise, it won't work well.

Well i don't think those window units would work.. my window opens outwards, it doesn't slide up and down. And i cant find a window unit designed for this.

Installation isn't really a problem as we live next to a plumber/electrician so he can do that part ;) he's a good friend and will do it for free.

So i think i need the sort corrosive is on about. Only problem is the closest wall it could go on is about 7 meters away. Maybe that is too far ? There is no way my parents would let me put a big fan thing (no idea what it's called :p) on the front of the house facing out into the street.

Air Conditioner BTU Calculator - Good Housekeeping

that'll tell you what you what range you'll be looking at for BTU's, then it's a matter of finding one that's in your price range. I wouldn't look at anything other than a window unit with a built in compressor. anything else honestly isn't worth the money.

Thanks, but why you say that ? the ones we have in our IT rooms at school look like this:

wall_mount3.gif

And they seem to work fine.

Oh, so you live in a dorm based area at college right ? I think I see why you couldn't use a window unit then...
Look into a small minitature wall unit for small apartments and college dorms, they shouldn't be expensive and easy to setup within a few hours.

you should get a new window :)

the option that corrosive is talking about is a portable unit (what you'll find if your searching most stores) and it has a thing that goes to the window to bring in air to the unit and then the unit is in the room and spits out cold air. the only problem with that is you'll probably have to put up some plywood in the window frame because i assume the window is fairly tall, and that's not really what ac units are designed for.

Nope, he posted a picture of the type of unit I was speaking of, I would never suggest a portable.

To clarify, OP lives at home.

Family dislikes idea of compressor unit being out front or seen from the front.

Window can NOT take a regular AC unit.

This leaves him with two options, a unit like I said, (look at the picture he posted) or a portable, which is a horrible option IMO.

Units like the one I posted about are great, but, as I said, the compressor can't be too far away, you do have to run copper lines that entire distance, and insulate them, I know of a few OLD schools that had units like this installed in my area, they had all the compressors on the roof and the evaporator (I think thats what the internal coils are called) in each class room. Great units, can be found cheap, but, if you have the money get a high quality one that will make it worth while.

This site calls it a Split Air Conditioner, very similar to Central Air, but, it doesn't contain duct work, and is meant for large single rooms, or small multiple rooms. http://www.brighthub.com/engineering/mechanical/articles/45249.aspx

Just a few things to rember rebel colonists, air con units in England are uncommon,we don't have the vertical sliding windows you seem to favor and our wall's are mostly brick not the easy to alter wood frame construction you have, also most American shops either wont or can't ship to the UK and also don't have a British market presence and if they do they are not the same shop.

Oh and before I forget we use 230 volt and you are on 110 volt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom