acoustic Hack???

Interesting for sure, but look how close you have to be to the device you want to get info from.

How often do you let strangers set their phones literally right next to your computer? Or if you saw somebody with one of those ultrasonic mic dishes...don't you think that'd draw some attention?

It's interesting in theory that it works...but not really a practical way to retrieve sensitive data from systems.

Thinking about it,
Senario:

Person goes in to a court house or a police station sh*** even a FBI or SSi office, the computer towers are with in proximity of the tower. and since the sound is ultra low it is posible.

So lets say I go in and have a set program that will infect a local machine, that machine is a type that has multiple log in from admin down the later to the end basic low level user. now the trojan is in place, after reboot it can cause all sorts of havic.

Second scenario

ATM machines, think about it you walk right up to a atm machine. it would be like getitng free phone calls form payphones of old using a recording device.
Scary

The operational noise of a computer will tell you nothing of value. All you're going to get is a fan running, a bearing doing its job or about to crap out, and filter capacitors whining as they do their job or about to barf tar inside your machine.

As an effective way to pull data, not likely. The noise the machine gives off has no data other than how well or badly it's running.

The operational noise of a computer will tell you nothing of value. All you're going to get is a fan running, a bearing doing its job or about to crap out, and filter capacitors whining as they do their job or about to barf tar inside your machine.

As an effective way to pull data, not likely. The noise the machine gives off has no data other than how well or badly it's running.

Thats what i was thinking,

all you could posibly get with out a microphone being on is a system report lol persay.

but with a microphone on thats a whole new ballpark

Where we going with this? There is no, repeat no, data coming from noise made by a computer. Even the little bit of hard drive noise as the head moves over the platter has no data on it. You might perceive that your drive is about to take a dump from the noise it makes and the scream you make when you realize you didn't back it up.
But other than that the article is BS.

And if you try to intercept the RF noise a computer gives off while working, is just that, RF noise. The grounded case will wash that to earth before you even know it's there.

The cloak and dagger aspects of that article are internet fodder.

I relize that,

I figured it would be a good disscun thread on what could happen if it is posible...

I still lean toward the issue of if a microphone is on and listening, coudltn you use acustic noise to hack a machine.

I realize that the sounds the computer makes are that just sounds.

Yet with a mic and programs these days using voice actuation is there a possibility of using acustic ?

Yeah, just before I finished my degree (about 4 months ago) the uni bought some equipment for performing attacks just like that.

Back
Top Bottom