$30,000! (no, not spam)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
LAST EDITED APRIL 25TH 2006

http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2093

WHAT IS IT?
RSA is a company that produces some kind of security tools that in order to hack, you need to factor this insanely large number (current challenge is 212 digits!). They release these "challenges" to the public in order to test their security tools. People are advised to attempt to factor the number, but only if they intend to do it for the sake of improving the RSA security.

I've been factoring the 193 digit challenge (RSA-640) for a good year and a half with 10 other guys, but these other people beat me to the prize (i wasn't close, lol). This time, i'm aiming for the 212 digit number (RSA-704).

This time, that number is gonna get cracked by me along with many other people... which is why i am posting here

TO THE AUDIENCE:
to anyone who wants to help the cause by running a program or java applet on their machine to factor the number, PM me or post some kind of reply.

PAYMENT (PLEASE READ):
if we actually do get the money (last time it took 5 calendar months, 30 2.0ghz operton years) you'd be given an equal piece of the pie :) . The first 15-20 people to reply or PM who want to do it will be "accepted" you could say.

A "payment plan" has been worked out and we have decided that the discoverer of the money will be awarded $2000 (leaving 28,000 to split) no matter what. The cut off for getting an equal share of the money (not the bonus $2000 for getting hte correct solution) is May 1st. If you simply help but do not find the answer after May 1st, you will get no money. No extra money will be given for those who do anything beyond what is asked, that is what the $2000 "royalty check" is for.

For example, lets say that "Jack" wants to help out in the factoring, but the day is May 15th. He should understand that he will get none of the money unless he is the one who ends up finding the factor. This not only prevents people from joining later, working less, and getting the same amount of money, but also makes people keep wanting to find the factor and work on it with more machines, etc.

If Jack joins on April 29th, however, and works at the sieving and factoring just as hard as everyone else, but Jill finds the factor, Jill will recieve 2000 dollars as well as an equal share of $28k. If there were 14 people in total (including Jack and Jill) Jill would end up getting a total of 4000 dollars and everyone else would get 2000 dollars.

Any scandals, cheating, lying, backstabing, etc will result in suspencion from the "team" and no money will be given.

The money should not be your number one reason for doing this. It is merely a way to compensate you for your hard work (or your computers' i guess). The primary reason for doing this could be for testing modern machines, learning the process of factoring, trying to help RSA security, or even trying to make the news. Don't get me wrong though, the money is definatelly a reward for a job well done (why else would there be as much motivation??)

NEEDS:
Also, we now need people to program as well. Our current program is not as efficient as we would like it to be.

Please don't post/pm me unless you are serius about doing it or you have a question. Also, don't flame/bash or say its spam.

cheers

-Tom

oh yes, and basic requirements/recomendations:

Computer with 128mb+ RAM (256mb+ recommended)
1.2 ghz AMD processor/equivelant Intel Processor

EDIT:

CURRENTLY WE HAVE...
*13 Machines* (not as much as programmers... but always needed)
*3 Programmers* (NEED!!)

Hey, thanks a lot for posting this. I found it very interesting and decided to give it a shot myself (even though Ive got no chance to win on a single computer that wont be running it 24/7). I just like the math challenge behind it, for me the big thing will be just getting a program that can theoreticly do it given enough time.

I'm not a super fluent programmer seeing as Ive only done 2 years of Java programming. I researched how to use large numbers in java and discovered the BigInteger class. I'm sure theres a better, more manual way to do it but I'm just going to use that class since I dont know how to get down deeper than that.

Very neat post, if there are any similar challenges please anyone feel free to post.

Edit- Well I've got a crappy version up and running. It took like 60 seconds just to get to division of 100,000. This version is pretty impractical, I need to think of a way to eliminate more data than what's already getting eliminated.

Drop me a PM if you want me to help. I'm sure one of my 2.8GHz cores and 2gb of RAM won't mind the extra work :)

@harry18 - basically you can have either remote paralelling of computers, or get a program that will allow you to skip ahead to lets say, numbers 100000000-100000000000 and power through those. in the mean time, machine 2 could be running 0-100000000.

@Mr_Threepwood - the best part about what we/i'm doing is that you don't need to have your computer on 24/7. with a method like the one described above, you can jump right back into where you started... feel free to join us!

don't feel like the computer will be dedicated to the entire project... i have two processes running it with 100% cpu (150,000kb) and i see virtually no impact in daily tasks. if you are = to the "general requirements" you will see an impact though

isn't this similar to the f@h thing? (Fold at home)

I mean that in the sense of having a crapload of computers crunch numbers.

Nubius said:
isn't this similar to the f@h thing? (Fold at home)

I mean that in the sense of having a crapload of computers crunch numbers.
Not really. Folding@Home is a distributed computing research project where they supply you with some software to run in the background that processes their "work units". You never really interact with the calculations process, you just let their software use your CPU cycles to do so.

I think that with this, they seem to just give you a number and leave you to your own devices to find ways (writing efficient software I guess) to get it factored.

Basically one's a charity where you donate your spare CPU cycles, the other's a math and programming challenge.

Oh, that'd be why I was asking.

When they started talking about programs up there I was thinking of F@h and thought they were doing something similar. Not having to possibly write their own programs and come up with their own methods of factoring it.

So they want you to take some huge reakin number and factor it down like 10 = 2*5 factors being 2 & 5?

Yeesh, sounds fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom