2006 computer engineering disaster of the year award?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think the odds are for Sony going bankrupt over both the batteries and the PS3? I know they are losing tons on each PS3 sold, and I've read review from gamers who have used it saying they are not impressed at all with the graphics of the PS3.

sprtnbsblplya said:
What do you guys think the odds are for Sony going bankrupt over both the batteries and the PS3? I know they are losing tons on each PS3 sold, and I've read review from gamers who have used it saying they are not impressed at all with the graphics of the PS3.
that would be game dependent. the PS3 is plenty powerful enough for almost lifelike graphics.

SPL Tech said:
INTEL! In my opinion... They make good products but their mofo piece of crap heatshink that comes with the Core Two Duo processors is so difficult to get on it could make you want to kill yourself. Not only does it take all day to get the POS on it pops back off a few seconds after you think you got it on. Then after playing with it for a day the damm clips break and you are SOL.

Who do you think gets the 2006 computer engineering disaster of the year award?

Yet it only takes me (a highschooler), 2 seconds to get it nice and secure. And it is also able to cool my e6300 at near ambient temperatures while overclocked at 2.8GHZ? HMMMMM?????????

Blu-Ray has my vote for engineering disaster. Its OLD technology that was never released because of copyright issues.

"I hate you IBM. :(..."

IBM, for making the PS3's eight core CPU the size of a human thumb, making it too small to sustain long hours of gameplay, forcing SONY to jack up the price of the PS3 at least $200 to cover the price of the damaged CPUs. :rolleyes:

:cool:

i would say blu-ray in general. we all know that hd will win the format wars.

The introduction of a DVD successor is 2006's engineering disaster of the year.

I think that introducing a next generation media format with DRM protection is the death of both HDDVD and Blu-Ray. There is no need for either, my DVD's look fine, and hold plenty.

As far as Graphics on the Sony PS3, give it a little bit. Developers still need some time to break into the power. the same thing was said about the 360 a year ago. As we all tend to be elitist about these things, I think we need to give them time to realize the full potential. and yes,I have to agree, graphics are going to be more game dependant.

The batteries...there was really no excuse for that. Somebody dropped the ball, and that was Sony.
As for sony going under...im kinda ridding the fence. I like some of their products, but they really overprice somethings. like their USB flash drive. 70 dollars on new egg for a 256 Mb, when I could get a 1 Gb from another company, that was just as high quality, for that same price. You can't tell me that somebody else drove the price up.

Now, computer engineering, IMO, can be both software and Hardware.

Sony's batteries get my vote for Hardware
Windows Vista get's my vote for Software

This is in part because of Microsoft's inability to get a viable licensing and pricing model that fits people. Microsoft want's to really squeeze the last buck out of Vista. I feel, because MS knows this is virtually the end of the line for the huge monolithic OS. Next, the DRM...nuff said. For the pricing model, Windows Vista is the most expensive version of Windows to date...beating out Win XP in price (comparible dollar amounts). I like to think my dollar will buy more than what MS thinks it will buy. TJM.

Windows Media Centre Edition. I got no deep down hatred for the software. However for it to be truely a DVD player replacement, the rest of the hardware industry to catch up.

SPL Tech said:
INTEL! In my opinion... They make good products but their mofo piece of crap heatshink that comes with the Core Two Duo processors is so difficult to get on it could make you want to kill yourself. Not only does it take all day to get the POS on it pops back off a few seconds after you think you got it on. Then after playing with it for a day the damm clips break and you are SOL.

Who do you think gets the 2006 computer engineering disaster of the year award?

I hate their new heat sink.
Firstly, they are not designed to be taken on and off like they older ones.
And it does not take much to have a cable get stuck into that fan. So I am normally going through twice as many cable ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom