1more year of school (your experiences?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have more credits than im suppose to have, because i never failed any subjects, and additionally i took Sat. School for 3 years.
This is also my last year in high school , but i have a record on fighting (suspended for 5 days), will the collages look at that ?

dude hardly anyone knows what they want to do as they start college. you have lots of time to figure it out...dont sweat it. besides, most of the time your major doesn't dictate your career after college anyways

I want to be an engineer but not sure of which sub category, civil, design, mech.. etc.

i want to research and develop planes and engines and military stuff or something.
I would possibly recommend joining the Air Force to become an engineer, but I'm not sure how much of an Air Force New Zealand actually has anymore (you can thank Helen Clarke for that)
What on earth do you call that, and how would you go about becoming that?
Aeronautical engineering.

yea, i wouldnt worry, at 16 your still at such an early stage of life, i dint know what i wanted to do unitll i was 18, and from leaving high school to then i just coasted, untill i realised i wanted to go into engineering, i graduated a while back and lecture now, but **** i hope thats not what my life has come to, but i dunno what i want to do now

yea, i wouldnt worry, at 16 your still at such an early stage of life, i dint know what i wanted to do unitll i was 18, and from leaving high school to then i just coasted, untill i realised i wanted to go into engineering, i graduated a while back and lecture now, but **** i hope thats not what my life has come to, but i dunno what i want to do now

Most people who plan out their career at an early age always end up doing something different.
Im not saying its bad planning ahead, but dont stress your self out at such a young age.

Most people in their major end up getting a job doing something totally different.
Im 19 and in my 2nd year of college and im still confused...i want to do something with computers and business, so Im thinking of going for MIT or BCIS(same difference).

Just make sure you do good in high school since it does help build your self up for college. Keep learning and researching on free time instead of playing games and staying home all day & night.

I just got my degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Engineering is tough man. A lot of people start out in it and not many people finish it. Dont get lazy. My work ethic wasnt the best, but I did what I needed to to get decent grades. High school was silly, it doesnt prepare you well for college.

I'd recommend Mechanical Engineering, Electrical/Computer Engineering, and Systems Engineering.

Mechanical Engineering - Emphasis on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, Component Selection, And anything physical in a system pretty much. I design tissue based cancer diagnostic equipment (and surf tech-forums, heh).
Being a mechanical engineer, civil engineering firms will eat you up. You can do whatever they do as far as big buildings, structures, supports, frames etc... but you have more knowledge in other areas too.

Electrical Engineer/Computer engineer - can work on the embedded/hardware side or the software side. There will always be a need for both, and they pay well too. Some say they are sensitive to outsourcing (IE India) but this is simply not true. Many companies are finding outsourcing is costing them more money than they are saving. Plus, as long as were at war - domestic engineers in this field are at a shortage.

Systems Engineering - not sure if this one is credited or not. This is becoming a very valuable resource to a lot of companies. Many companies are finding out the usefullness of this major and its integration into management, system design and processes and the engineering side. A lot go into quality systems in companies.

Its hard to decide what yuo want to do the rest of your life at your age. Just remember that you wont be stuck in whatever you major in for the rest of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom