1more year of school (your experiences?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last 2 years of high school is not the be all and end all that every one makes it out to be. However it's best to get your studiy attitude together while you are still in high school. The reason being are as follows :-

* The learning pace in Uni or Collage is about 4x more than what you have in school. Depending on your classes, and what you did in high school, the first 3 month might be a quick over view of what was covered in the last 2 years of high school

* Teacher in high school are more than likely to help you out if you are struggling.

My other advise is this. Do not take a year off between high school and uni/collage. Firstly it means that it one more year that you have to wait until you get a "real job"
Secondly, I have seen some people take a break for 12 months, and they loose the study attitude. And with that, they find it's a little hard for the first few months to keep up.

I remember this point in high school.... I could NOT WAIT to get the heck outta there. The funniest thing is that I missed it ALOT once it was all said and done. Friends move across the country or farther, and all that fun stuff.

My school had 8 class periods during the day (technically 9, with a 0 hour gym class starting at the crack of dawn.... no thanks), and I went 1-8 all 4 years there, and still managed to barely graduate. I never failed a class either, or got kicked out. My guidance councelor is to blame..... I ended up taking a freshman health class as a Junior (yes, for the first time), and a sophomore consumer management class as a senior. Technically, I was half a credit short in PE classes to meet the graduation requirement. I had to take a proficiency test for the consumer Ed class to try and test out of it, and missed the mark by THREE POINTS!! So, I had to have an approval from the district superintendant & the school board to have an exemption on the 0.5 credit underage on PE classes (seriously, how could they keep you from graduating because you missed half a year of playing outside?). So yeah... I also didn't have a SINGLE study hall during those 4 years. Every class period was an actual class, except lunch, and I suppose Band is debatable (percussionist). Man, I really miss Marching Band.... those were good times. I carried a marching snare my Junior & Senior year.... those drums were sweet.

Anyways, apply yourself, and try to whip yourself into shape, and getting in the routine of putting forth much effort.

I am 24, and I still am not sure what I want to do "when I grow up". I would like to get into something with hardware design for computers, but I don't even know where to begin..... err, well I didn't a few minutes ago. I guess I will look into Electrical/Computer Engineering as UA_Iron suggested. Only thing that stinks is that I have to wait till NEXT MAY to do it, if I can even afford it at that point.... the mortgage on this house is breakin my back here...

Yeah...suppose i do have enough time to decide. Better ask my career adviser at school.

But most of my mates at my school already know what they are going to do!
one wants to be an architect
another wants to be an apprentice straight after school etc.

they know what they are good at and they work towards that. While I'm all confused and depressed here!.

but its all good:), we will see what happens..lol!

I was one of the people that graduated near the top of my high school class without trying. That in turn led me to not try too hard in uni and it showed in my grades (C average). I graduated and everything with a degree in CIS but I hardly remember anything from college due to being drunk, high or hungover. I got my first job in IT as an Operator in a data center which meant I was basically a baby sitter of a mainframe and a bunch of servers so I had a lot of down time. I so wish I would have had that job while I was still in school, with all the resources and down time and experienced people at my disposal to ask questions. So I recommend that while you go to uni to get either an internship or job like I had that is in your field. It puts what you actually learn into perspective and you can actually see what goes on.

I agree, internships, work experience, extra curricular stuff will always put you 5 steps above the competition when it comes to getting a job.

Get your resume together early, check out college recruiting/career center, work during the summer, start applying for internships asap - the worst they could do is say "no". I wish I had done more of that while in college, I was too busy working out all the time haha.

i dont know why people make such a big deal about their senior year in highschool.

highschool is nothing but a big dramafest. college is so much more relaxed and fun. i was 3rd in my class, and VERY lazy. thats how easy high school was.

save your fun times for college, you wont regret it.

oh yeah, my senior semester was a breeze. i did absoultely NOTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom