130 people killed by heat wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No... It don't, it makes you warmer and it makes the air around you feel cooler... But if there is no electricity what makes you think you can shop at a store?? Last time I checked every store with in 40 miles of me uses registers to check people out and they don't have price tags on the items, only barcodes. The stores are supposed to have back ups but last time we lost power for over 30 min most places backups failed... And the last time mercer lost power was from a huge storm that knocked out most the power in and around mercer, there was no water, sewage systems backed up in some areas that are down hill, and no one could check out of title wave >_< Now in them ice storms we had, 20 people died from having no heat, power all over kentucky was out for upto 4 weeks in some areas.

Most stores have price tag, and the only thing you need to worry about buying is water and ice not a supply of Doritos. Most stores will still operate even without power, a battery power calculator and knowing how to add and multiply. Stores without price tags, they usually have gasoline/diesel backup generator with sufficient fuel already being stored to be use in the event the gas station also goes off (which doesnÂ’t happen much during a heat wave). If they donÂ’t have gasoline generator or backup power supply than they would lose out on sales or they didnÂ’t learn anything from the past.

Now IÂ’m talking about heat wave not a snow storm or hurricane, because those two events have different affects. Snow storms are predicted before they usually happen so watch the weather channel and prepare for it before it happens (common sense again). Same with hurricanes, but heat wave canÂ’t be predicted. Well we can assume that during the summer it will occur but canÂ’t predict exactly which day or how high the temperature will reach.

As I said before, you have options. You canÂ’t let yourself die. Only the strong survivor, thatÂ’s how nature separate the rest of us.

Ive got you all beat. Back in the day when they DIDNT have AC or any of that bull they stayed cooled off and barely died. The problem is, is your relying to much on the AC and crap being there so when it DOES go out you dont know what to do. Find other ways of cooling off instead of relying to heavily on electricity. For instance a POOL.

uzi9mm said:
what about shaving your head and using thermal adhesive to glue copper core heatsinks stright to your noggin...
LMAO, That is funny as crap, I would have just went but naked and drank all the water I can right away, and not go pee or drink my own pee if it got really bad watched what I ate if it had sodium or not in it, not that hard to stay alive :p I live by the mountains so I would say camping trip :) until it all burns down since it is too hot.

Nubius said:
yeah, but it's old people and they are stupid.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm cynical and cold on most issues, but that's just not true what you said Nubius. Of course as you age your mind will go...you'll eventually become senile. But as you live long, and longer and become an invalid you can't help but succumb to otherwise benign weather phenomena. Law's initial statement was true. I guest Im a softy too for some things! Im not surprised at all the in the midst of a heatwave that at least one hundred people died in the most populous state in America. Im in jersey for chrissake and as I type this I feel like Im about to pass out! And I'm a young, virile male demi-god!

somewhat back tracking but doesn't beer increase your heartrate = higher body temp.

and about nubuis's post: I found it more amusing than anything else, but thats because I look at my mom and see how she keeps losing inteligence with age.

I look at my mom and see how she keeps losing inteligence with age.

That's youth talking. The older I get, the smarter my parents become to me.

When I was a teen/young adult, I thought my parents were so ignorant and stupid. But, once I got out on my own and had the world tear me a new one a time or two, I began to realize that they weren't as slow as I had thought.

Now, I just hope to be able to make it as well as they have... married 39 years, house paid off, nice vehicles, both retired but with an income equal to what they made working full time.

I do understand about some old folks who won't use the AC to save on the light bill. My wife's grandmother will do that, and then turn it on for a little while to cool it down a little. She can't understand that it runs up her bill more to do that because it has to work harder, when if she'd leave it on it would maintain the temp and run less. but, then, she's 90 years old and in the early stages of Alzheimers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom