1080p not noticable below 50"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
ive read this many times from ign. They have this HDTV answers n questions thing n sometimes Gerry, the man answering the tech questions about HDTVs, says that anything below 50" in his opinion is not noticable n best for 720p. I find this hard to believe but is this really true? Can i not see all the pixels on screen if it's less then 50"?

he finds it hard to believe that ppl still buy 40" 1080p HDTVs when he says it's not noticable from 720p.

can anyone agree with this?

If I look at them side by side I can tell that 1080p looks smoother and higher quality, though it's not a huge difference. I think it maybe depends on the person who's viewing. Some people can tell the dif, some can't. Just like some folks can tell the differences between different audio bit rates and other's can't after a certain point. Different strokes..

If I look at them side by side I can tell that 1080p looks smoother and higher quality, though it's not a huge difference. I think it maybe depends on the person who's viewing. Some people can tell the dif, some can't. Just like some folks can tell the differences between different audio bit rates and other's can't after a certain point. Different strokes..

i can totally tell about the audio bit rate, it's the overall quality.

can anyone post a very good line graph ranging distance by inches of HDTVs? I found some but they were off n i was scratching my head like it none of the ones ive seen make since with my HDTV.

my HDTV is a Sony 55" 720p LCD Projection that was manufactured in Nov. 2004. Cost a lot back then n i still cant believe my dad didnt wait for prices to drop, even though my bro was leaving Best Buy with a 30% discount of HDTVs. Heck, my dad would of gotten a better HDTV without the 30% discount today! Our HDTV n surround sound cost around $4000 my dad says.

anyways, i like 720p better because of it being progressive scan n that is it's native resolution. My couch is about 13-14 feet from the HDTV n i notice a differ from 720p n 1080i, except that 1080i is not as clear as 1080p n is smaller, while 720p may have lower pixels, but they get scaled on screen n is sharper to look at IMO. Oh, n i made up my own analogy of interlace n progressive scan:

interlace= without glasses on
progressive= with glasses on

nice eh?

Truth is you can notice the diffirence heck i can notice the diff if it was between two 30" 720p,1080p monitors, IT IS NOTICABLE, BUT AS THE SIZE INCREASES THE DIFFIRENCE GETS BIGGER AND BIGGER.for tv's its not about the resolution its the pixe count, and as the tv gets biger it amplifies the picture quality if its bad.

Ask your friend if he can tell the diffirence, i can tell my gf's 42"1080p, is running 1080p, versus her old 720p tv bought at the same time. Tell your friend to go to the eye doctor.

ITS IS NOTICABLE, BUT IT AS THE SCREENS GET LARGER YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFIRENCE MORE. I CAN TELL FROM EXPERIENCE

Interlaced is for fast action like sports etc.. while progressive is for ther things such as regular tv and movies, because nowadays ppl like to watch their movies in 1080P@24Hz

Truth is you can notice the diffirence heck i can notice the diff if it was etween two 30" 720p,1080p monitors, IT IS NOTICABLE, BUT AS THE SIZE INCREASES THE DIFFIRENCE GETS BIGGER AND BIGGER.for tv's its not about the resolution its the pixe count, and as the tv gets biger it amplifies the picture quality if its bad.

Ask your friend if he can tell the diffirence, i can tell my gf's 42"1080p, is running 1080p, versus her old 720p tv bought at the same time. Tell your friend to go to the eye doctor.

ITS IS NOTICABLE, BUT IT AS THE SCREENS GET LARGER YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFIRENCE MORE. I CAN TELL FROM EXPERIENCE

Interlaced is for fast action like sports etc.. while progressive is for ther things such as regulkar tv and movies, because nowadays ppl like to watch their movies in 1080P@24Hz

thx dude, much appreciated. Except that Gerry isnt my friend, i dont even know him. He's one of the staff of IGN.com who answers tech questions about HDTVs n home theater entertainment.

ya sry if u didnt get that clear.

i cant wait for 1440p to come out, which wont happen until 2009 or 2010 or something.

u mean 1600P (2600x1600) same as my monitors resolution? I beleive Toshhiba or Samsung were supposed to be the ones to release them first (Tv's that is).

But with all these new tv's its starting to confuse people what with all the talk about 480P,720P,1080i,1080p,XHD,UHD,24Hz,60Hz,100Hz,Hz,BD,HD-DuD,LCD,Plasma,CRT,DLP,OLED,Laser,Projection,etc...

i read an article not too long ago where they got a bunch of people and projected 2 images next to each other, one at 720 and the other at 1080, and had them guess which was 1080 and half of them got it wrong.

When its not 3:00 in the morning and I don't have to get up in 4 hours I'll look for it.

The truth is that its not that noticable. I have a 720 projector and my friend has a 1080 TV and the difference on the two is unnoticable on games/movies.

however, when used as a computer monitor...the 1080 one is much nicer to use because of the higher res.

i also have a question too about the amount of pixels on screen. How can u count how many rows, steps, pixels or whatever natively? I mean, all over the net Halo 3 was noticed to output 640p not 720p because ppl counted the pixels n rows it had n said that it was upscaled to 720p n 1080i/p.

i want to be able to count pixels n stuff too, but idk how to do it, anyone know how to or know a guide to pixel counting?

thx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom