1080i or 720p better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprtnbsblplya

Daemon Poster
I have a new HDTV on its way and should be here Tuesday, and also just got a Xbox 360, so I'm curious which resolution would be better, 1080i or 720p?
Also for upconverting non-HD DVDs, which resolution would be best?

Please respond only if you have actually used an HDTV and know from experience which is best.

The difference in picture quality is not overly significant between 1080i and 720p.

720p or 1080p is especially nice for vid games or watching sports. The 'p' means that it uses progressive scan, which in turn means that your TV displays images 2x as often (not exactly, but that sums it up).

In summary, you will likely notice a difference between p and i, but are less likely to notice a difference in 1080 and 720.

http://ezinearticles.com/?720p-Vs-1080i-HDTV&id=91443

It's a half-decent read. It's short and to the point -- hence why I posted it.

Is 720p vs 1080i worth being concerned about? Yes and no. If you're a consumer looking for a new TV, you can happily ignore the 720p vs 1080i debate because every TV which is described as HDTV or HDTV Ready is required to support both formats.

NOTE: You should be aware though that lots of TVs which support 1080i have fewer than 1080 lines and so scale the 1080 signal down. That's not a huge issue as even scaled down 1080i is far ahead of a regular NTSC signal. It is worth bearing in mind that more expensive HDTVs tend to have better scalers than cheaper ones, and this may be an issue.

However, for broadcasters it's a live issue. Should they broadcast 1080 lines of interlaced video or 720 lines of progressive scan? They could just broadcast two signals, one in each format, but that would use up a huge chunk of bandwidth and be hugely expensive for very little gain.

To answer the question, it's important to understand the difference between 720p vs 1080i. A 720p signal is made up of 720 horizontal lines. Each frame is displayed in its entirety on-screen for 1/30th of a second. This is know as progressive scan (hence the 'p')The quality is like watching 30 photographic images a second on TV. A 1080i signal comprises 1080 horizontal lines but all the lines are not displayed on-screen simultaneously. Instead, they are interlaced (hence the 'i'), ie every other lines is displayed for 1/60th of a second and then the alternate lines are displayed for 1/60th of a second. So, the frame rate is still 30 frames per second, but each frame is split into two fields, which your brain then puts together subconsciously.

Most of the time interlacing works fine, but for fast moving images, such as sports like baseball and hockey it can cause problems which manifest themselves as a 'stepping' effect on-screen. Progressive scan signals don't have this problem and so are better suited to sports.

ESPN puts it like this: 'Progressive scan technology produces better images for the fast moving orientation of sports television. Simply put, with 104 mph fastballs in baseball and 120 mph shots on goal in hockey, the line-by-line basis of progressive scan technology better captures the inherent fast action of sports. For ESPN, progressive scan technology makes perfect sense.'

Bottom line? For us, as consumers 720p vs 1080i is not a debate worth worrying about, so you can relax and focus on all the other criteria on your list when you buy your next HDTV.

Your best bet is to feed your TV its native resolution. So if you bought an LCD or plasma, it is most likely native 720p, but will also accept a 1080i feed. You want to reduce the amount of scaling that is required.

All current (as far as I am aware) xbox 360 games are at 720p resolutions (I have heard of some games coming out in 1080p at some point). The xbox itself has an internal scaling chip, so it can output the games at its native 720p (no scaling required), or scale it to 1080i or 1080p.

Your TV also has a scaler in it, so even though it may be native 720p, it can also scale a 1080i (or maybe even 1080p) feed to its resolution.

So, in short, if your TV is 720p, I would set output on the xbox to 720p. If your TV is 1080i (or even 1080p) you might want to try it different ways and see what scaler does the better job (the 360 scaler or your TV's scaler).

So, in short, if your TV is 720p, I would set output on the xbox to 720p. If your TV is 1080i (or even 1080p) you might want to try it different ways and see what scaler does the better job (the 360 scaler or your TV's scaler).

I agree. I have seen some TVs that do the conversion better than High-Def Digital Cable boxes, and vice versa. The same would apply to a 360 vs a TV.

Well if games are designed for 720p then thats what I'll prolly go with.
Anything has to be better than 480i...

More so than the "difference" in 720p vs 1080i, be more concerned with your display's deinterlacing and scaling ability. Clearly, if your input signal is 1080i, getting a 1080p display is superior.

If your content is 720p, it is "more times than not" better to have a 720p display.

So, before I answer the question, what's the native pixel resolution of your display? :)

All current (as far as I am aware) xbox 360 games are at 720p resolutions (I have heard of some games coming out in 1080p at some point).
I think all developers have to make games at 720p, however for bigger titles they can choose to bump it up to 1080i. Gears of War is 1080i and I can only guess Halo3 will be as well. That said, apparently the framerate gets somewhat choppy during cutscenes at 1080i.

Xbox360 can't do 1080p

gaara said:
Xbox360 can't do 1080p
What you talking about Willis?

Do you mean you don't think it has the horsepower to render native 1080p? AFAIK, that is still in discussion, and last I read it sounded like we may see 1080p games.

It already can scale to 1080p. It was added in (I believe) the Fall dash update.

Oh wait, you probably didn't get that because your still not hooked on on Live yet!!!!!!!!! :p

Native resolution is 720p.
So you guys are saying that most 360 games will look best at 720p on my display instead of 1080i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom