What are my options with transfering programs/ data to new computer? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Talking What are my options with transfering programs/ data to new computer?

I'm building a budget PC myself for the first time. For the hell of it.
I am as green as a baby apple but having a blast. PLease bear with my feeble questions.

The physical hardware installation is not a problem for me.

I am not clear what my parameters are with data transfer and software installation ie. booting the new motherboard and transfering the old HD over to the new.

1. I assume a new motherboard always= a clean os installation?

Is that correct? or

2. Is it possible to boot the new motherboard using the old hard drive? If so... can it be done without the risk of loosing files/programs?

4.If no... and I have to boot with the new HD will I have to reinstall all my programs or can I transfer the contents of the old HD over without reinstalling everything? I know there are drive cloning programs but I am not sure of their capabilities/ limitations.

4. If I later purchase 2 more SATA hard drives to take advantage of RAID is it possible to easily transfer the contents of the ide drives over, being that the data formats are different?

Thanks!

Rob

Old 02-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Booting the new system using the old HDD, is highly unlikely to work & if it does, it will probably be very unstable.

You will need to do a fresh install of the OS on the new drive instead.
Copying programs over from the old drive to the new is also highly unlikely to work.

The best thing for you to do is this :
Do fresh install of OS on to new HDD & install any programs that you need.
You can add the old drive into the system by setting it to be a slave (jumpers on rear of drive, new drive must be set to master).
You can then attach the old drive to the same cable as the new drive (place new drive on end of cable, old drive in the middle)

You will then be able to access any of your own files (eg, docs, mp3 etc) that are on the old drive, & transfer them to the new one if you wish.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Samm
Booting the new system using the old HDD, is highly unlikely to work & if it does, it will probably be very unstable.
The hard drive stores whats connected to it doesnt it?

So if he were to go into device manager and uninstall every driver and uninstall every device and than transfer the HDD to the new pc and load it that way. Ive done that a few time before and it works for me trouble free.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Deleting everything in device manager doesn't necessarily remove all related settings from the Bios or other system files.

Yes it can be done, but I don't recommend it. In my experience (which is fairly extensive) it generally results in a glitchy system & isn't really worth the hassle.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well ya theirs always the bios probs, he could always clone the drive I think Nortan Ghost is great for cloning.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by AT2005
Well ya theirs always the bios probs, he could always clone the drive I think Nortan Ghost is great for cloning.
What Bios problem?
What good would cloning the contents of the old drive to the new drive be, if the install on the old drive is no good for his new system?

Closed Thread