What mobo ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default What mobo ?

I am looking to put together my first system, i intend to use the AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2.2 GHz processor, although i was hoping to put in a chip with 1024 level 2 cache, i just cannot warrant the extra expense. I ahve looked through these and other forums and i am stuck on my choice of mobo,i think i have narrowed it down to either of these 2 :

ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe"
or
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

Now not being massively technical on motherboards, am i right in saying tht unless i intend to run 2 graphic cards, there is no point buying the ASUS one above ?
Any other boards tht i could look at would be appreciated too. I am looking at upto about £120 ( about $250 i think )
Thanks a lot for any help.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Both of those mobos are great. You dont need 2 video cards yo. Thats for people that can just add things that cost ALOT. Member, those are dual channel memory boards. So get 2x w/e RAM you want, same brand same type.

AMD64, havent came out with clawhammer cores yet, so you wont see 1mb L2 cache for awhile. But that processor is fast, so its not that all important.

Old 02-12-2005, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for tht,but i just done a further search on above products and i found the processor listed as either a "Winchester" or "Newcastle" socket 939, with the following manufacturers code : ADA3500BIBOX and ADA3500AWBOX respectively. Thers only about £5.00 gbp between them but whats the difference ?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

The Newcastles are 130nm processors. The Winchesters are 90nm processors. Basicly the 90nm run alot cooler, and are better to OC. So get the Winchester.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Having been looking aroung further still,i would like to stay with the old AGP format, so the ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" and the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum are out of the equation i beieve??? So are the following boards still in the top(ish) range for AGP?

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, nForce3U, 939, Dual DDR400 8xAGP SATA, Raid

Asus A8V Deluxe 939 8xAGP, SATA, Raid, Dual DDR400

Unless someone wants to throw a different board at me (ducks) ?? Like i said motherboards are prob the thing tht i know least about. :sigh:

Feel free to correct me on anything tht i have wrong.
Closed Thread