Weeeird static, and i MEAN weird! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to FabianJ
Question Weeeird static, and i MEAN weird!

Ok ... it's nothing bad or anything, but i've been wondering about this for over a year now!

I am sitting at my pc and i've got my speakers on, theres no sound playing but there is some quiet static coming out of them ... normal right ?! But heres the weird thing: The static makes noises that fit to whatever the pc is doing. When i minimize a window the static makes a certain kind of buzzing, when i maximize the window it makes another type of buzzing noise. The same for opening programs, whenever i do that it makes a kind of high pitched noise. Pretty much everything i do makes the speakers give off a certain specific sound.

So i though, maybe it's just the pc sending these to the speakers. I unplugged the speakers from the computer but they still give off the sounds.

I put on my MP3 player and muted the sound, and that too made the noises when the headphones were within a few metres of the computer ....

... am i going crazy or is this normal ??? :amazed:

Old 12-16-2004, 04:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to MST3kGeek

Doesnt seem normal in the least. Only thing i can think of is if the speakers are too close to the monitor. Could be a little cross interference if the speakers aren't the newest. Dunno.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

when its quiet i can just here a small normal hum of the monitor...when the colour on the screen change from a light colour to a dark colour and visa versa i can here the hum pitch change just slightly....as MST3kGeek there could be cross interference with ur monitor.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to FabianJ

All valid points BUT ... would cross interference not produce random noise. What i'm getting is individual and specific noises to operations within the computer, such as: Always the same noise when i move the mouse up ... and another noise when i move the mouse down.

Even the start button's got it's own specific noise .... thats just not normal. And it's not just the computers speakers, it's all of the speakers in the house as long as they're near the pc.

:amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:
Old 12-16-2004, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to MST3kGeek

My little brother had a similar problem with his last set of speakers. When the image on the monitor would change there'd be a noise change. I never listened close enough to tell if the mouse moving and such caused a noise. but try moving the speakers away from the monitor and see if the same thing happens. Other than that I really cant think of anything else.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Well if the cross interferance is caused by the PC from something like an electromagnetic pulse then depending on what the PC is doing meaning CPU usage, it would cause a different sound.

Quote:
it's all of the speakers in the house as long as they're near the pc.
THAT right there indicates that it's interferance, can't be anything else if all the speakers do that only when they are close to the PC.

Do you have a lot of electrical devices running near you or anything like that
Old 12-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Roshi229 Send a message via Yahoo to Roshi229

wow, sounds fun... what's the cause? PSU? Processor? cables perhaps... i wonder... if you unplug the speakers from the pc... holding the plug by the insulation with the case open move it around close to, BUT DO NOT TOUCH anything with the plug and see if one thing like the power supply or the cpu or something causes the noise more than another... my guess is it's voltage, powersupply. what i'm going for is similar to when you unplug the speakers and they are still on, if you touch it to the back of the case they humm... if you touch it with your fingers, it humms... test it out, see what happens.

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search first, ask later!\"></form>