video card ques. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default video card ques.

im sure this may have already been discussed but no luck finding an sorry if it has,but i currently own one of those lovely DELL desktops 2400 and really have no major complaints(just yet) but I like to play games of course on with my kids but the integrated video card is kind of a joke.Question being can you update these machines and with what kind of cards are compatible with them.I am clearly no rocket scientist when it comes to these but I know I could probally install a new card if these machines are capable of it.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to VICone Send a message via Yahoo to VICone

Yes, you can update the card depending on how much money you want to spend and what your looking for. You can go to any computer store and ask the people there and they should give you what you want.

MCSA, MCP (070-210, 070-218, 070-215), A+, Network+, Security+<br>
<a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">MySpace</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">MCMCSE</a> | <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">Brainbench : Free Certifications</a>
Old 02-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Theirs alot to upgrading a integrated machine. First, you probably dont have a AGP slot. So to make sure, find out. Before i go on, i need to know if you have a AGP slot. Even if you dont you can get a PCI card, witch these are nothing near good.
Finished With TF.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Try to get either the computers specifications or get the model number.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to bigstanklo

Find out if you have an AGP slot. If so I would suggest you go to and search for AGP graphics cards just to get an idea of what kind of cards are out there for what kinds of money.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Yeah, Dell and emachines still don't include AGP slots for the most part in their desktop system. They want you to get tired of the Integrated graphics, start to hate it, realize you can't upgrade it, then go buy their gaming model PC.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, I agree it will be hard to get much of an upgrade without a agp slot. this is one of the better cards you can get for pci, you would notice a big diference with this card, and a ram update wouldnt hurt either. This is the same pc I use at work, It really isnt very upgradable, but if you dont want to upgrade processor and mobo, this is probally the way I would go.

Closed Thread