Very low disk space - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2004, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to whitemist Send a message via Yahoo to whitemist
Default Very low disk space

I only have 3% left on my disk of space and don't know what else to take off. And I'm wondering if that is why I keep getting a popup window saying that an error has occured and IE has to shut down. Also, as I'm typing this, the words are taking their good old time showing up on the screen. I can type a whole sentence and it will be 30-40 seconds after I've finished before it shows.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

hmmmm, a filled up harddrive shouldnt cause that, you should go through and remove all games you havent played in the past few months, empty your recycle bin, and go into program files and look for unnecessary things that have an uninstall or unwise file in them then remove em for a little more space... as for slow performance i would try running ad-aware(free) or spybot search and destroy(also free) just google em to find a site... also list the rest of your specs so we can find any other problems

The World is my trashcan and i intend to fill it...
Old 11-19-2004, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Also, delete your Temporary Internet Files. However, in the shape your in, it might be time for a re-format.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I recommend a format.
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 11-19-2004, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

along the lines of beedub's statements, do you have a cdburner? or an external harddrive? a nice quick backup and reinstall will help but make sure that you have all the discs to reinstall and next time make sure to keep firewall/antivirus/ad-aware proggies running when you work online and all the time.

The World is my trashcan and i intend to fill it...
Old 11-19-2004, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

try and defragment your hard drive somtimes that helps. you might also need more ram.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yeah, and what are your computer specs...? 3% left on your drive, that shouldn't slow down text appearing on the screen

And as they said: use an anti-spy/adware program (link to adaware is in my signature) can clear out temporary files of various sorts (internet, windows etc) and lost file fragments window's found when scanning your drive for errors. Then defrag...(they recommend having 15% free drive for this.)

And of course, (depending a lot on your PC), you can only have very good performance while doing so much.

Reformatting will work, though it's a fairly big hassle trying to back everything up, re-download updates/programs and install them...if you're up for that. When I had windows 98, I reformatted, it seemed, every 4-5 months as it got sluggish after awhile, but with Windows XP, though I only use it half the time, I've had it for three years (about) now, and never reformatted. Linux is a nice choice too, specficially slackware (muahaha...not really, unless you're into the dos based stuff, at least partially)

good luck!

Closed Thread