Swapping motherboards... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Swapping motherboards...

Hey, I have a new motherboard & processor that I want to switch into the computer I am on now, but I really have no idea how to do it. I want to do it myself, could anyone give me a guide on how to do it, or if not, explain it the best they can? Thanks!

Old 02-12-2005, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Before you start.... are you certain that your new mobo & cpu will work with the rest of your hardware? In particular, the RAM & graphics card?

Old 02-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Yeah, you just cant expect hardware to be compatible. What kind of processor and mobo do you have?
Finished With TF.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Its all compatible
Old 02-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

OK, if you're sure everythings compatible....

First, you should back up the contents of your hard drive. Chances are, you will have to reformat C drive & do fresh install of windows because the mobo drivers will all be different.
Make a note of your internet/email account settings for the same reason.

If mobo has driver CD with it then fine, if not, download any drivers you need for it first.

remove all external cables from PC (monitor, power etc)

(wear static strap or at least ground yourself before touching internals)

Open up case & disconnect main PSU connector from mobo, then remove all other PSU connections. Remove all other cables (IDE cables, front panels connectors etc)

Remove RAM & all add-in cards. You can leave CPU in mobo to prevent it from being damaged if you wish.

If mobo looks like it will be obstructed by drives etc when lifting out of case, remove then as well.

Remove all screws in mobo & carefully lift out. Check that the spacers are lined up correctly for new mobo - you may have to move some around.

To insert new mobo & CPU, follow reverse procedure. HOWEVER....Best to just connect up mobo, cpu & heatsink/fan, graphics, RAM & PSU to start with. Connect monitor & test that this works first before adding drives etc.

Make sure you read mobo manual first & configure any jumpers correctly. Be very careful with CPU insertion - ie don't touch pins, don't force it, make sure you following correct procedure for heatsink/thermal compound application.

If mobo POSTs ok, attach drives etc. As I said, you will probably need to perform fresh install of Windows for new system to work correctly.

If you have problams with the initial POST test, let us know.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to MarcoRyan

One thing that could create a big problem for you is your IDE drivers. You need to install the 'standard' IDE drivers and remove the specified one. i.e. Soltek IDE drivers, or Intel MB IDE drivers. Unless the MB is of the same make, the HDD may not work.

On the other hand, if you are formatting the HDD and reinstalling once the new MB is in, you shouldnt have a problem providing you assembled the system correctly. Don't forget your spacers, I've messed a couple MB's already that way.
Good luck!

Intel Pentium 4 - 2.8 Ghz - 533 FSB
512 MB RAM @ 400 Mhz
120GB HDD + 80 GB HDD
GeForce FX 5700
19" Flat monitor
Old 02-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to Therock

What's the procedure for just installing a new PCU, RAM and PSU?
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz
DFI LanParty nf4 ultra-d
eVga 7800GT 256MB
1GB OCZ extreme series (2 x 512)
OCZ 550 Watt PSU
Samsung 200GB 7200rpm
Tsunami Dream Case
Old 02-18-2005, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Originally posted by Therock
What's the procedure for just installing a new PCU, RAM and PSU?
Make sure that the new CPU & RAM are fully suported by mobo first. If they are :

Ground yourself before touching any components
Disconnect power lead from psu
Disconnect all internal PSU connectors
Remove the 4 screws from rear of PSU (lay pc on its side if it's a tower so stop PSU from falling anywhere when screws are removed)
Remove the CPU & RAM
Change any jumpers settings your mobo may have for configuring the CPU etc.
Insert new cpu & ram - make sure you apply new thermal paste to heatsink if reuse the old one, also make sure the heatsink's rating is adequate for the new CPU.
Screw in new PSU & reconnect to mobo etc.

Turn on PC. If you have any problems getting machine to boot to the Bios screen, then locate the Clear Cmos jumper on mobo & clear the bios.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Hey, I'm building my new computer right now and I have a question. I have the http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm
Well, I have four ribbons, 2x HDD, 1x Floppy, 1x CD-ROM, and I can't figure out where they go. Each of them has three connectors on it, and I can't figure out where to plug them. I have one hardrive, 2 cd-roms (one is a burner), and one floppy, how do I plug these up? Help please
Old 02-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Floppy cable :
Locate pin 1 of the floppy port on mobo. (the manual will tell you which one that is if it's not marked on mobo). Plug one end of floppy cable into this port so the red stripe is lined up with pin1. If it has 3 connectors, use the end connector that is furthest away from the middle connector. You may find that the cable is keyed anyway to stop you connecting it the wrong way.

Check the pins on the rear of the Floppy drive, if one end is marked '1', connect cable so that red stripe is lined up with it. If no markings, connect cable so red stripe is nearest the power connector.

According to the pic, one of the HDD ports is blue - this is for the HDD. Connect the blue connector of HDD ribbon cable to this port, again making sure the stripe & pin1 line up. If all connectors on cable are same colour, use the end connector that has the greatest distance between it & the middle connector.

Connect the other end of cable to hard disk, so the stripe is nearest the power connector. Do not use middle connector if you only have one drive.

Connect the CDROM cable to the mobo in the same way as the hard drive one, following the same rules.
Set the jumpers on the rear of the 2 CD drives - set one to master (M), other to slave (S). Connect the slave drive to the middle connector on the cable & the master to the end connector. Again red stripe next to power connection.

Closed Thread