PC Fan Repair - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2004, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to John Doe Send a message via Yahoo to John Doe
Default PC Fan Repair

Problem: PC starts making a strange noise.

Hardware: Fan (both in the power supply and on the CPU).

Software: Any.

Resolution Steps: Strange noises coming from the computer are usually caused either by a fan or the hard drive (this isn't too surprising really, these are the two most mechanical parts in the box!). Another possible cause is the CD-ROM drive (either a CD rattling on the tray or the whole tray rattling loose), but this is far rarer.

The first step is to find out which device is making the noise. Remove the computer case's cover and listen carefully. You should be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from (unless it's one of those intermittent faults that always seem to disappear when the technician arrives to fix the problem!). Because you're working inside the PC you might want to wear an anti-static strap for protection against static electricity.

If the noise appears to be coming from the hard drive then you can confirm this by turning off the PC, unplugging the power plug from the hard drive and restarting the PC. If the noise isn't heard then you can be pretty sure that the hard drive is the culprit. There's not much you can do about a noisy hard drive, often it's a sign that the hard drive is on its way out and you should replace it immediately while you can still retrieve data from it.

If the noise appears to be coming from the fan over the CPU then you can confirm this by carefully sticking a paper clip or small screw driver into the fan's blades and seeing if the noise stops (this sounds rather drastic but it will tell you straight away if it's the fan or not). Don't stop the fan for too long, a second or two is all it takes to see if the noise stops.

It's usually fairly simple to see if the noise is coming from the fan in the power supply as it's easy to get your ear close to this fan.

Now that you know it's a fan problem you have to decide if you want to replace the fan or try to repair it. If the PC is still under warranty then go for the replacement option (after all, it won't cost you anything). If the faulty fan is on a slot-type CPU (i.e. the CPU and fan are built into a thick board that sticks up from the motherboard) then I'd opt for replacement. If the problem fan is in the power supply and you're not confident with electrical safety issues then opt for getting it repaired or replaced professionally. If you want to try repairing the fan yourself then read on...

If the CPU is a socket type then remove the fan. Removal is usually accomplished by either unclipping a metal clip or two or by unscrewing four screws. Sometimes the fan and heatsink are one unit, other times they are separate (in which case leave the heatsink on the CPU and remove just the fan). Before removing the fan take a note of the sticker on it so that you can replace the fan the right way up.

If it's a slot-type CPU then you will have to remove the whole CPU board (look for a plastic clip at each end of the board).

If it's the power supply fan that is causing the problem then carefully remove the PSU box (this is usually achieved by removing four screws from the back of the case that attach the PSU to the case). Depending on the style of case and the length of the power cables you might be able to lift the PSU box up and rest it on the case, or you may have to disconnect some or all of the power cables in order to be able to lift the PSU box out. Remove a couple more screws and you should find the PSU box comes apart. Take a note of which way round the fan is so you can replace it correctly and remove the four screws holding the fan in place and lift the fan out (you may have to unplug it first).

We're going to add a little oil to the fan so make sure you've got some handy (use general purpose oil, i.e. sewing machine oil). The next job is to locate where to put the oil. You will usually see a sticker in the centre of the fan. Carefully lift the sticker up. If you see solid plastic in the centre of the fan then try the other side of the fan. In the centre of the fan you might see either a hole with a spindle in it, or a small rubber cap that you can prise off to reveal the hole and spindle.

Put two drops of oil in the hole and spin the fan around a few times to work the oil in. If there was a rubber cap then replace it. Put the fan back (you did take a note of which way up the fan was before you removed it, didn't you?) Usually fans blow down onto the heatsink and CPU, so it's important you replace the fan the correct way up.

In conclusion, there are two types of fans in use: ball bearing and sleeve bearing. Ball bearing fans are generally better as they last longer. If you elected to replace the fan then try and get a ball bearing sort (they may cost a little bit more but they're worth it). If you tried to repair the fan by adding a couple of drops of oil then you should know that this fix will usually only work for a few months before the fan starts getting noisy again.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

For a longer lasting fix instead of using sewing machine oil or other basic oil, use Tri Flow. Its expensive but it's defiantly worth it. It comes in aerosol and squeeze bottles. I recommend the squeeze version and it also comes with a long thin tube that fits into the bottle to get single drops of oil into difficult to reach places.
I have been using Tri Flow for several years and it's by far better than any other oil I have tried. Tri Flow is a synthetic oil with Teflon in it and many laboratory tests have shown it to be far superior to any other light oil in load and wear tests.
This stuff is amazing. I may sound like a salesman for it I'm not, just telling you about a much better product than regular light machine oils.
I found out about it from when I was racing bicycles and a sponser I rode for swore by it. It's made in Germany but can be found at most Hardware stores and also at Bike Shops.
The 4 oz. squeeze bottle is about $6.oo but it lasts forever because just a drop or two is all thats needed.
I've used it on large sleve bearing fans that have siezed to the point they wouldn't even start and a few drops of Tri Flow and they work good as new, uasually after oiling them with Tri Flow they will run for years but a drop or two when you think about it and they just may run for a lifetime.
I have a 25 year old 15 inch El Cheapo made in Taiwan fan that siezed and 3 in one oil would fix it for a month or so then it would sieze again. When I put Tri Flow on the bearings it was quieter and seemed to move more air! This fan runs 24/7 (I live in Hawaii) and has been running constantly since I got it!
Try this stuff you won't be dissapointed.
Closed Thread