Partitioning Hard Drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Partitioning Hard Drive

I recently installed a new 80 Gb Hard Drive in a Windows ME machine as the Primary Master. I went through Fdisk and format.exe correctly but now find that the system only recognises 4 Gb of the drive. (The old drive that I removed from the box, which had the operating system on it was 4Gb)
Partition Magic can see the rest of the Drive but refers to it as 'unassigned'. C: is only 4 Gb
Do I go back to FDisk and allocate a secondary dos partition of the remaining hard disk space?
Thanks for any suggestions

Old 02-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Fdisk has limitations on the size of drive it will recognise. I can't remember what that limit is with Win98/ME version of fdisk but may well be that 80GB is too big for it.

If that is the case, just use partition magic to do it.
It will let you extend the primary partition size if you wish & will let you create an extended partition with logical drives.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

If I were you you might want to buy a new OS of windows 2000 pro or XP home. They are much more stable, and 98/me is really outdated
Closed Thread