my computer wont start up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question my computer wont start up

when i try to start my computer up it goes to the windows xp screen where it has the lloading bar and then after like 15 minutes of waiting it goes to the blue screen of death (it says dumping pysical memory to disk) and it repeats the process. weve tried in safe mode, last functioning system config. (or something along those lines) etc. I hav a pentium 4 running windows xp home edition, 512 ram, and im not sure about the hard drive memory.

Is it a virus or Microsoft being Microsoft or possibly the resault of bearshare/kazaa? PLZ if u no ne thing about how to get the computer to work tell me

(by the way if ur wondrin im on my old computer writing this post)

Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Can you run this computer in Safe Mode?

Finished With TF.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the registry cannot load HIDE (file) the thing may be absent corrupt, or not writable.
if u guys hav ne other ideas plz post
Old 02-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Actually sounds like your harddrive went kaput. Especially if it's not even booting up. I'd say your harddrive went dead, but try some other things before you buy a new harddrive.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
Default few things to try

So many things to try...

Did you install a new device or software the last time you booted successfully? Can you boot to last known good configuration?

Can you boot and see your devices on a floppy? If you don't have a bootable disk, grab one at If your system is trying to boot on the HD, your system sees the disk.

Try booting on your XP CD (go change the BIOS setting to boot to CDROM). Keep an eye on the drivers as they load and make a note of the last driver loading when it crashes. If it boots up on the CD, try a system repair (you DO have a repair disk don't you?). Run scandisk from the system restore console.

While you could have lost some hardware, it's unlikely. You probably just have a corrupted system file. This could be a hard drive issue, a change that you made, or a virus.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Were you Ocing before and raised something to high maybe the Vcore?, again it can be many things to trybefore moving further on insisting to help you out as mentioned before.

Please give us more info.

Closed Thread