I need help installing a Sony CD-R/RW - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default I need help installing a Sony CD-R/RW

Hi! I got a Sony CD burner for Christmas and now I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to get it properly installed! My husband tried to install it but it still doesn't work and I get error messages saying our computer can't find the hardware, when I try to run the installation CD. I went to the Sony site to ask for technical help, and clicked on chat, but had to download a Java so I can chat. I downloaded it, but I am still unable to chat on there. So I must have traces of a former Java setup still on the computer that is preventing me from successfully downloading the Java.

Any help you can give, will be appreciated!
Bye.
Debby

Old 01-30-2005, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
ApM
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to ApM Send a message via Yahoo to ApM

Make sure you have plugged the correct cable from the PSU into the CD-R.

I'am not too sure which one it is though, sorry.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

first though that comes to my mind would be check the jumper settings ans make sure they are correct for the installation. IE is it a slave (2nd device on the cable with your hard drive) on IDE1 or maybe Master on IDE 2
Old 01-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

FreakvillePcz is correct but perhaps not very clear.
The master setting is for the device attached to the end of the cable. If you have only one device on a cable, then it will be the master.
If you have 2 devices (ie. you might have a CDROM & a CD Burner) on one cable, the device at the end will be master, the device attached to the middle of the cable, will be the slave.
Alternatively, set both devices to the CS (cable select) jumper setting.
When everything is connected, boot into the Bios & see if it detects the burner. The key for getting into the bios is often displayed on screen when you first boot the machine up. If not, try pressing the DEL key a few times when you first power it on.

If you have trouble getting into the Bios, let us know.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Thanks but still need more explaining

Hi, Frank!
I don't know what those things are that you mentioned - those initialized names of things.
I guess I will continue to ask some more questions on the subject. It might be a mountain of a problem but if I work at it little by little, I might finally understand it all sufficiently well to get this thing installed correctly.
Answer any of these questions you feel able to answer:
*I've read that if the CD burner is the second hardware drive on ones computer, than the interface cables are already automatically set up for master setting. My husband used the interface cable that was already in the computer, and left the new one that came with the burner to save for spare. Should he have done that?
*What is the name of the white square plastic covers on the ends of the bunches of colored wires? My husband has all of them plugged in to where he thought they should go in the computer when he tried to set up the burner. The side of the computer is still open so I can see what is in there. I see that there is one of those bunches of colored wires that still aren't plugged in any where, but is just hanging. Is that proper, or do you think they should be plugged in somewhere?
Thanks for your help.
Debby
Old 01-31-2005, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi, Frank!
I will say some more now, as I can't fit too much in one posting:
(1) One set of colored wires are plugged in close to the ceiling and towards the back of the CD burner he's put in there into the compartment for it there. The left side of our computer is open. I can see it from there. I see that it is about 1 inch from the opening(made by removng the computer wall on the left), close to the ceiling - where I just described to you that it was. (2) The other set of colored wires are plugged in about two inches below the top one, and also about 1 inch away from the opening (made by removing the left side of the computer wall).
Old 01-31-2005, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi, Frank!
The third one, as I said, is just hanging - not plugged in to anything.
*The red edges of the interface cables for the most part, face the opened up left wall of the computer. Is that how it should be?
*My husband said he plugged in the interface cables in exactly as they had been plugged before, except today, he moved the master plug down one and plugged it into the power thing, he said. He did this as a result of hearing a friend's advice on the subject today. But our computer still does not tell us it detects the hardware.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

ARGHHH!
Right, the white plastic plugs u described r called MOLEX connectors. DO NOT worry about the unconnected ones that r hanging down, this is perfectly normal (unless they were connected prior 2 your husband ripping them out!).

U mentioned the red stripe on the interface cables...the stripe should be one the side nearest to the power (molex) connection. If it isn't, the system will not detect your drives. Sounds like this may be the problem!

As for the master/slave thing, you should have both CDROM & burner on the same cable. One the rear of each drive there will be a small plastic cap (jumper) which covers 2 pins. There will be 6 pins in total (2 rows of 3). Above them should be some letters (CS, SL, MA). To make life easier, make sure both CD drives have their jumpers in the CS (cable select) position.

Closed Thread