Having some problems running defrag - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Having some problems running defrag

Well, to get things cleared up, I'm 15, and my parents just got a new computer, so I'm stuck with the old one now...Which is good and bad, considering it's not that bad, it'll work i guess, but now i'm working on trying to get it to behave a tad better than it has been lately, and I decided maybe running a lil defrag will help me out perhaps.

Now, I consult the 'rents, considering they've been through all this before, and they said that to run it, i've got to shut down every last program on the comp, and then run defrag, and it might work. I did all this, and hit defrag to see if it'll go, and left it for a while, thinking this'll take a long time, might as well go watch a movie or something, an hour later I come back, it says it's still checking Drive C for errors, and that it has completed a grand total of 0%. You can imagine my joy at finding this. It was pretty late so i just shut the computer down and decided to sleep on it, when I was referred to this site from a friend and decided to ask you guys.

Any ideas as to why this defrag isn't running at all? This computer is a Windows 98, btw and it's not in the greatest shape, the lastest McAfee says there are no viruses, and Spybot comes up with nothing, if that helps.

I've been considering just backing up a few files that I've got and just re-formatting but I'd like to just fix it as much as I can and keep everything I have for convinience, any ideas?

Old 01-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default i know an answer to ur question

i'd go ahead and throw the computer away as it is way to complicated to fix at this stage

if u can't throw it away u could do a couple of things one would be to run it over with ur car or the other would be to throw it off ur house,

also works as stress relief

Old 01-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

First thing to do is in My Computer, click on View menu, Folder Options & select View (middle) tab. From list under 'hidden files', select Show All. Click OK & close My Computer.
From Start menu, select programs\accessories\system tools\disk cleanup. This emtpy temp files, Internet cache etc.
Next, make sure ALL applications are closed (incl Anti-virus etc).
Try running defrag again.

If you get same problem, reboot windows into safe mode (F8 key before the splash screen appears) & try again.

If it still won't defrag, run scandisk over the drive & check for bad sectors, corrupted files etc
Old 01-10-2005, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

It may be that your computer has alot of defraging to do. Defraging can take up to 8 hours... I suggest doing this before school, then check it out after. Not that defraging wont help, but its nothing very specail. Why dont you tell us your computer specs.
Finished With TF.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Comp specs

It's got a 40 Gig hard drive, 256 megs of RAM, an Athlon AMD processor - 800 Mhz and I don't know much else about it off-hand, it's basically a five-year- old HP Pavilion 9464C, my dad tells me; I'll probably end up backing up a few files that are dear to me and just re-formatting the drive, but it's in pretty bad shape, if something goes wrong, it'll lock up and it takes anywhere from 3-7 tries to get it back running normal, pulling all the tricks.

I'd just like to salvage this lil hunk o' plastic.
Closed Thread