GeForce 6800GT to Ultra - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Question GeForce 6800GT to Ultra

I’m looking to buy a new video card, specifically a BFG GeForce 6800GT OC 256mb, and would like to get some additional information.

First: I’m planning on getting mine from the local Best Buy because I like the possibility of returning it if there’s something wrong and being able to talk to the people. Still I feel that $400.99 is a bit steep and I am wondering if this is just me worrying. Is there a similar quality video card that I can get for a lower price that would be as reliable? And if anyone wants to suggest ATI then I would just like to say that I have had too many problems with that brand in the past to get one now. I know that some people have great success with ATI but that just my experience, please no flames.

Second: someone once told me that the 6800GT could easily be set to operate at the speed and pipelines of a 6800Ultra. I’m wondering as to the veracity of this statement and where I could find some more information on the subject. Also the card is clocked at 370MHz and I was wondering if anyone here has tried to over-clock one, and how much success they have had.

Thanks to everyone who responds.

Biostar U8598 (downscaled) >.<
-VIA P4X400-8235 Chipset
-Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
1024MB DDR400 RAM (single stick)
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT OC
-256.0 MB VRAM
-Forceware 84.21
-DirectX 9.0d
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Old 01-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Well for your first question, that is the basic price for it. I have even seen them for 500$. All different brands make 6800 GT, witch will range in price's.

For your second question, witch alot of people ask. Yes you can make a 6800 GT run speeds of a 6800 Ultra. Im pretty sure you have to install the 6800 Ultra drivers, along with some OC settings. Myself, no i havent OC it, i was going to get that card but change my mind. If your going to get it at Ultra speeds, your going to need some nice cooling.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks for the prompt response codeine. Ill keep the cooling in mind if/when i decide to overclock the thing. Usually BFG cooling is pretty hefty right ou tof the box, my current card is clocked up to 400 MHz with no problems to date.

One more question though: AFAIK all of the Nividia drivers are universal for their cards. Is there someplace I can go to get the Ultra drivers or better yet, it there a webpage that has very detailed informtaion on the process so that I can read up a little before I start fooling around?
Biostar U8598 (downscaled) >.<
-VIA P4X400-8235 Chipset
-Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
1024MB DDR400 RAM (single stick)
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT OC
-256.0 MB VRAM
-Forceware 84.21
-DirectX 9.0d
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Old 02-04-2005, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Desktop Engineer

Send a message via AIM to Thresh

I have that card and can safely clock it to 410mhz and 1.1 mem clock with stock cooling. What you see on my sig is what I use to have it at, but it likes to hang up for a few seconds after heating up every now and then. Be sure to have good ventillation in your case and you will be fine for Ultra speeds.
Closed Thread