dell power supplys - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default dell power supplys

ok guys is it true that you can only replace a dell psu with a dell psu, i dont mean because of the case and if it will fit i mean are there psu's sepcial to the motherboards? help me out asap.

thanks guys

Old 01-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

A lot of Dells have the standard 20 pin ATX connector but also a second smaller connector from the PSU to the mobo.
I am fairly certain that the 20 pin connector has the same pin out as any other ATX PSU (although the colour of the wires are ofter different to normal).

Not sure whether you need the second connector or not. Check your old PSU to see if it has one.

Only thing you may have to watch is the amp rating on each of the power rails (i.e the 5v, 3.3v etc)

What model of Dell is it?

Old 01-13-2005, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

its dells 4200, i know what ya mean about the amp reading, the pins all match up but some said in another forum that you could only use dell psu's, i have a hard time beliving that, espicaly since its so hard to get parts from them any way.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Im almost positive that you have to go through Dell for PSU, along with variant other upgrades. What makes you worry about the PSU? Unless you got alot of diferent hardware, or somthing is wrong with the original PSU. Replacing it, would be pretty useless.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

right thats the deal i connected my psu testor to the dell oem and it told me that the -5 was bad, also the danger light lit brite red!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

I assume your pc is a Dell Dimension 4200?
If so, I've attached the technical specs for the 4200. It includes all the pin out details (position, voltage, amps) for the PSU.

The 4200 PSU doesn't have any secondary power connections so provided that the voltage/amp levels match the replacement PSU, I can't see a problem.

All you may have to worry about then is getting it to fit the case.

Personally, if I've got any doubts about a PSUs voltage outputs, I just use a multimeter to check each one.

Closed Thread