Delayed boot - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2005, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Delayed boot

I have a AMD64 3200+ on a Asus K8V se deluxe mainboard. I am running a 80gb ide drive and a 200gb sata drive both wd, 1024 kingston ram and a 9800pro videocard. I have gone through the bios and cant seem to find the problem, but when I boot the system, it brings me to a couple of screens where the system detects my drives, and on one of the screens it says bios not installed. It takes aprox 3 mins to boot. it has done this even before I installed the sata drive. I have built almost the exact systems before with different asus boards and never came across this before, most boots i've seen on the other 64bit systems i've built were aprox 30 secs. I have quick boot enabled in the bios, and even default settings are the same. Does anyone have any Ideas what I might be able to try?

Old 03-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

See if there is a newer bios version. Sometimes boots that are prolonged can also be due to virus scanners. And sometimes the mobo tries to scan for things that aren't there and gets hung up on them. For example I have not diskette drive so I removed the mobo from searching for it on start up.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to bigstanklo

Get into your BIOS setup when the computer begins to boot and see what the boot order is for the devices. Make sure that only the devices you installed are there and it isn't trying to boot something else before booting your installed devices. A delayed boot happened to me before and it was a problem with the computer searching for 2 IDE devices when i only had one installed. Removing the second IDE from the boot order solved the problem.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks guys, I disabled a drive that I dont think I even have, and put my pm as 1st boot device. It is alot faster now, and Im not geting that bios not installed warning anymore. Thanks again for all the help
Closed Thread