Custom PC? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, I was told elsewhere that the ram i have up there is no good. But supposedly this ram is good.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-299&depa=1

Old 01-26-2005, 04:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Zeeg

yeah that ram seems like its good, and it comes with a lifetime warrenty...can't get any better than that. Alright, well, tell me what you got now.

My (Dell) PC
Intel
Old 01-26-2005, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Alright, I'm not sure about the case, hopefully one with a good power supply, if anyone knows a case (With side window+LEDs perferably, i like prettyness.. hehe) with a good high watt power supply, please post it!

Motherboard:

MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-468&depa=0

I'll stck with Motherboard, I'm almost sure about it.. It's really cheap at a computer place in my city!

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-463&depa=0

I think I'm sticking with this 3500+ as well.

Video Card:

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB DDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, AGP 8X, Model "128-A8-N350"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-220&depa=1

I need a video card that will run Half Life 2 very nicely (Just an example, so you guys know what I'm looking for).. I heard this one's good and not that expensive.

Hard Drive:

Seagate 160.0GB w/ 8MB cache
http://canadacomputers.com/storage.html#hdd

Somebody said my 250 Gb was too much, and I agree.. hehe.. If theres a cheaper HD with more GB I might go for it.. What's the MB cache do?

CD Drive:

Doesn't really matter, I'll just pick something up

Floppy:

Same as above

Ram:

Mushkin Dual Pack 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-299&depa=1

What in the specs shows if ram is good or not? Cause I can't find much Mushkin where I live.

That's what Ive got..
Old 01-26-2005, 11:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

everything looks good, but i tell you that HL2 is an ati based game and will get a fps increase. About the ram thing, all i know is that 3200 or higher and with a goood company makes the ram good. Also, watch out for the OEM ones, they just come with the hard drive its self and the connecters, they don't come with a box. Unless you like the box OEM is fine, exept you want the packaged processer, because it comes with thermal paste.

My (Dell) PC
Intel
Old 01-27-2005, 02:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'd like a box.. Make's me more secure. Heh. What does thermal paste come with? CPU? Where do you put it?
And by ATI you mean.. like Radeon? Hmm... What's the best Radeon that's cheap for HL2?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeeg
ok Here goes my 15 min reaserch project..... First off, if your looking for a online realitor that is good, go to www.newegg.com. Almost everyone knows about that, and alot of people like newegg. Fast shipping, daily deals, and sometimes they can have the price less compared to other companys. If I am mistaken by any of the things that I said, someone correct me.
yes, newegg are very popular, and a good supplier of parts. you will rarely find a part that doesn't have a warranty, and shipping is fast.

Quote:
Hmm.. this website doesnt tell you the specs on the case. Also, search on newegg for cases. And the answer to your question: no, not all motherboards fit in all cases. You are going to have to look at the ATA factor. You have to make sure that your case can support the ATA factor for your motherboard. For your motherboard, its standard ATA. Too bad that furture shop does't give you the specs on the case.
the case standards are AT, ATX and BTX.
AT is a very old design (over 8 years obsolete)
ATX is what 99% of computers use today, and is most likely what your motherboard and case is going to be
BTX is what Intel is trying to push people into, mainly to get better cooling for its hot CPU's. Athlon 64's don't run very hot. (max is about 42 degrees Celcius)

Quote:
The reason that amd are good for gaming is because the amd chips have a much higher FSB or bus speed.
actually this is one of the more minor reasons Athlon 64's perform better. and technically they don't have a FSB like previous CPU's
Athlon's, Athlon XP's and Athlon 64's are all designed to run at a lower frequency, but perform better. they do this because they have shorter instruction pipes.
basically, every clock cycle pushes a bit to the next transistor in a CPU, and AMD has designed their CPU's so that the bits don't have to go through as many transistors to complete an instruction. this means that they can complete their instructions in a fewer amount of clock cycles than Intel's CPU's

the Athlon 64's technically don't have a FSB (or Front Side Bus), because the memory controller is on the CPU itself. the FSB is typically the bus (or data transportation lines) between the CPU and memory controller, which is usually on the motherboard. now the Athlon 64's have direct acccess to the memory controller because the MCC is on the CPU.
the memory controller is responsible for talking to the RAM, the CPU telling the MCC what data it needs from RAM, and then the MCC basically finds that data from the address given and takes it to the CPU. because the MCc is on the CPU, Athlon 64's almost have direct access to memory, giving them a much higher transport speed. AMD has called this Hypertransport or HTT for short (not HT, that is the Pentium 4's HyperThreading)

so you wouldn't say "My CPU has a 1.6GHZ FSB" instead you would say "My CPU has a 1.6GHZ Hypertransport or HTT" (depending if you're writing it or saying it)

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...148-019&depa=1
This would be THE BEST hard drive for 80. The reason you want seagate is because if you compare a seagate to a maxtor, maxtors tend to run hotter and are more noisy. So, the seagate one would be your choice.
you're right there, Seagate are probabbly a better drive. they are very high quality, fast, and quiet.

Quote:
Again im not so cool about motherboard stuff. But I highly recomend you get two sticks of 512 because you will run alot faster with that.
this doesn't apply if you're talking about socket 754 though, since it doesn't support dual channel memory.
dual channel means you have 2 sticks of DDR RAM, and the data will be transferred to or from both sticks at the same time, to get a better overall speed

Quote:
Im also not very goood at choosing power supplys, but I think antec makes goood ones.
Antec make very good PSU's

if you're going for a 3500+ CPU, try and get one with a Winchester core. the Winchester's have a smaller die (90nm instead of 130nm) which means they don't have to use as much power to run. using less power means less heat is produced also, so they are more overclockable

Thermal paste is just a thermally conductive compound, which sits between your CPU (or GPU) and its heatsink. it is there to fill up the microscopic gaps between them, so that all areas of the CPU can lose its heat. you would generally put a little bit in the centre of the CPU, then press down the heatsink so it squashes the thermal paste around to fill the gaps

Hard Drive cache is basically where the data is transferred to or from before it goes to the system or written to the hard drive. if either the computer or the hard drive is busy, they can still write to the cache chip until the computer/hard drive is ready again. the more cache the better

for a good video card that will get a descent amount of fps in HL2, I would stick with the Geforce 6600 GT
generally ATI's cards do perform slightly better in HL2, because they are designed for Direct3d rather than OpenGL. however, in OpenGL games like Doom 3 this card will perform much much better.
comparing to the Radeon 9800 Pro, the 6600 will still perform better , this is because the 9800 is a previous genaration of cards. ATI's card which is mroe or less comparable to the 6600 is the X700. this card is strictly a PCI-Express card, and being an ATI card it still doesn't give all that much OpenGL performance against the 6600

also as far as RAM goes, it is far better to get higher frequency than Lower Latency, since you can't use a lower frequency to get better performance like you can with CPU's. and also because buying lower latency RAM will not give you very much performance increase over higher latency RAM
a PC3200 module at 2-2-2-5 will only get about a 4% performance increase over a PC3200 module at 3-3-3-8
there are some good RAM manufacturers that make descently priced PC4000 RAM, some of it is very overclockable, so they can reach even 600MHZ. in particular, G.Skill seem to be able to reach very high frequencies with very low latencies, although I recommend trying to get better speeds with higher latencies and even higher freqneucies. also, the higher the frequency, the less difference lower latencies make for RAM.
if a 600MHZ RAM disk had a latency of 3 clock cycles, the real time wait is the same as a 400MHZ RAM disk with a latency of 2 clock cycles. however the transfer speed is 150% better

some good RAM manufacturers are Kingmax, Transcend, OCZ and G.Skill. G.Skill being the best for overclocking.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Techie

are there differnt kind of cores for the FX series? such as the FX-55? also, from this forum i heard that almost 90 percent of games are direct3d instead of openGL. In that case you would want to go with ati. I will say that the 6600GT is good, but the only reason i recomended that is because ati would get a increase in performance, but you said that the GT would be better because of the newer generation card. Ialso thank you for making everything clear.

My (Dell) PC
Intel
Old 01-27-2005, 11:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I've seen FX clawhammers, but I'm not sure if there are any with the Newcastle core. I know there aren't any Winchester FX's as of this post
Old 01-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie

look at my specs! i have a nice radeon 9800pro and I have to play at medium settings in HL2 and it still gets laggy when stuff explodes or sudden noises occur! Urrrr! Ithough this card would fix that!
2x512mb Patriot XBLK
256mb BFG 7600GT
Samsung 200GB 8mb
500W Apevia (Aspire) PSU
Samsung CD-RW
Logitech Z-3 2.1
IBM 17”
Windows 2000 PRO

3DMARK05 - 6***
Old 01-28-2005, 11:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You might need a bit more ram (My friend saw a huge improvement from 500-700.. it hink thats how much) and I'm not sure how great that processor is.. but the fct i'm getting an Athlon 64 3500+, and you say yours just gets laggy on explosions and stuff, then I think mine should be good

Closed Thread