Compaq Presario desktop, what options do I have? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Compaq Presario desktop, what options do I have?

Hi.

I've owned a Compaq Presario Desktop 5000 Series with a Celeron processor for about 2-3 years now. I was told there is no way for me to upgrade my graphics card. So I opened it up, and low and behold, there is no AGP slot, only a couple PCI slots.

So I'm wandering, what options, if any, do I have? Are there any graphic card upgrades I can buy for a PCI slot? I'm not looking for anythign extremelly powerful, I'm not trying to run Doom III or Half-Life 2 on a Celeron with no AGP slot.

Actually, if it helps, I'm a huge RTS fan, and the game I have my mind on running is Rise of Nations and its expansion pack, requires specs found here: http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/ri...tionsgold.aspx ("16 MB video card required")

According to the dxdiag I run, my machine is more than capable of running the game in all other areas, it's just the video card that's killing me. This is often the scenario with every newer RTS game that comes out. (C&C:Generals also comes to mind)

Here's a little excerpt from my dxdiag:
System:
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU ... 1200MHz
Memory: 254MB RAM

Display:
Name: Intel(R) 82815 Graphic Controller
Approx. Total Memory: 4.0 MB

That's painful, it really surprises me that I have been able to run some of the games I do with 4MB.

I plan on building a "Gaming" PC this summer, but I really want to give this PC the extra little nudge in the graphics department to atleast play some of the RTS games out there, that aren't exactly demanding on your graphics card.

Please tell me there's something out there for me, anyone? Thanks.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Your mobo has to be PCI Express for one of those cards. You really need some RAM, why dont you get 512mb of RAM. That would help alot. Your system is very very old. Nothing much you can do. They sold you a dead end system yo.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

You can get decent pci vid cards, for like 50 bucks. check out newegg
Old 01-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by IAM_7154
You can get decent pci vid cards, for like 50 bucks. check out newegg
Alright, thanks. I found this 32MB card: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-211&depa=1 . Is that what I'm looking for? Will that work with my comp?

I know it's an outdated system, that's why I'm looking into building a new ine this summer. But for right now, I just want to small, cheap graphics upgrade on my current one, so I can play Rise of Nations and C&C Generals.

Edit: Also, someone threw this idea at me. On my mobo I saw an integrated graphics chip. They said I might not be able to put graphics cards in the PCI slots because they may interfere with the integrated graphics chip, or something...
Old 01-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Why dont you try this one.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...139-146&depa=1

Your really going to need RAM too. PCI cards are extremely weak, so dont try to put max settings on those RTS. Their are alot of small units on RTS, so in big battles you might experience some lagg. C&C Generals is really graphicial game. My friend plays it on his 3.0ghz 800fsb prescott, and when thiers alot going on, the helicopters rotors lag some. I dont think your going to be able to play that game at all man. Im just telling you this so you dont get your hopes up. But if you want to get that to run, then your going to need more RAM yo.

Ok sorry i dident see everything you type. Your going to have to disable your old video card.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Both of those cards should work

I recomend the MX-440 as it will blow away the other card

Closed Thread