cd drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default cd drive

I have 2 cd drives in my computer, both are burners and one is also a dvd. Sometimes when trying to open either one of them to remove a cd, they won't open. I have to restart the computer and then they will opwn. Any suggestions on how to correct this?
XP Home SP2
2.6g AMD
768 ram
80g and 20g hard drives

Old 01-11-2005, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

This usually means that the CD drives have been locked by a program. CD Writing programs often do this to prevent the tray being ejected whilst burning a CD.
Do you have any writing software running in the background (you will often see an icon for it in the system tray) or does this problem happen after you have burnt a CD?

Old 01-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I never know when it is going to happen. It can be with a game cd or a music cd. Have not had it to happen with a program cd yet. It can be a purchased or a cd that I have made. I have not seen my recording program running when it happens.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Contents of the CD in the drive at the time shouldn't have any bearing on it.
When drive refuses to eject, is the CD spinning or activity led lit at the time? Also, has it ever refused to open when there is no CD in the drive?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

The cd is not spinning. The light will come on when I push the eject button and then go out. Don't remember having any problem when the drive is empty. Both of my cd drives will do this at times but not all the time. Sometimes I can keep pushing the eject button and it will finally open. I have tried the empty cd drive when this happens and the empty one will open.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Sounds like whatever program has been using the non-ejectable CD (whether it's the application associated with that CD such as a game or an audio player or XP itself) hasn't completely shut down even though you have closed it.
Because this problem doesn't appear to be directly connected to the same application each time, I would suspect the problem is with XP itself and not any 3rd party software.
Sorry, that isn't much help.

Just to eliminate any possibility of it being a hardware fault, you could try replacing the ribbon cable to the CD drives. And double check the master/slave configuration of them both as well while you're at it. I very much doubt this will turn out to be the cause however!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for the info. I have shut off most of the programs that are starting up. It seemed to help. It will take a little time to make sure.

Closed Thread