booting a raid driver from a memory stick - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2004, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default booting a raid driver from a memory stick

I built my own PC and I set up two SATA hard drives in a striped raid format. I want to format and reinstall windows but to do that in the windows setup i need to boot the raid driver for it to recognize the hard drives. Problem being, my floppy drive is broken, and I was wondering if there was a way to boot the raid driver off of a usb memory stick?

Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to intercodes

Well ,enter into BIOS, and change the first boot device to "USB-ZIP" or something similar to that, iam not sure. If that doesnt work , why dont you copy the contents of the USB drive into a floppy and boot with them?

Old 11-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I could but that means first replacing my floppy drive. I could do it pretty cheap, but seeing how they have more or less been phased out by major computer companies, i thought there must be a way for a usb stick to act as a floppy, but I am gonna try changing the boot order, thanks for the tip
Old 11-16-2004, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I still like having a floppy wouldnt be without.But it should work with a jump drive.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

try the ultimate boot CD i do believe it has an option to put your own utilities on there if it doesnt havea raid driver already... it si an amazing utility and is quite helpful it boots just like a floppy and has a menu with loads of startup progs (memtest, HDD tests, etc.) good luck

The World is my trashcan and i intend to fill it...
Closed Thread