Bad PS/2 Keyboard Port - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Tips, Tricks and FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy Bad PS/2 Keyboard Port

Good Day All,

I have a PC that has a bad PS/2 Keyboard port, the port feels extremely loose and I cannot get the PC to recognize the keyboard. If I could get into the BIOS I'd probably be able to set it up so that I could use a USB keyboard (Windows 2000 OS) however I need a keyboard to get into the BIOS. Does anyone know how I could replace or fix the PS/2 port? Or if there is another workaround I'm not thinking of

Thanks for any help provided.

Colin

Old 01-05-2005, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

You can use a USB keyboard to get into the BIOS normally. I have in the past atleast.

Have you tried doing that?

Old 01-05-2005, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, the keyboard doesn't seem to respond to any key presses during POST or at the windows logon screen. I'm not at the PC now, I'll try it again when I get home from work. In regards to fixing or replacing the PS/2 port...is it hopeless, am I going to have to buy a new motherboard??
Old 01-07-2005, 01:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Just get a usb to ps2 adapter, i got one for like 5 bucks on ebay. it has 2 ps2 on one end and 1 usb at the other.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The usb to ps2 adapter wouldn't work as it is the keyboard ps2 port on the mother board that is the problem.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

The reason the USB keyboard won't get you into the BIOS is because you need to enable USB legacy or USB DOS support (the exact terminology used differs slightly from one Bios to another).
USB is probably alreadly enabled for windows but this relies on the windows driver only so doesn't work at boot up.

Unfortuately, you need to be able to get into the Bios in order to enable this option!

When you say the PS2 port is loose, do you mean it's coming away from the actual PCB of the motherboard?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Not exactly sure what you mean, I'm a little un educated in the motherboard department. I say it's loose because I am able to move it around a lot more than I can with other PCs I've used/worked on.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to The Rage

I had this problem too. Hopefully, it is not the same thing for you but mine was the motherboard. Take a look at the capacitors(round cylinder-like)around the CPU and memory. If any show signs of bulging or leaking you will need to replace the motherboard. The ps2 port was my first warning sign then later I got a loud screeching noise(not HDD) from the motherboard during the post.
Then again, the fact that it is loose could be the issue.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

The PS/2 keyboard port is a round DIN socket but it is mounted inside a silver square/rectangular block (usually with the PS/2 mouse connector on top of it, in the same block) which in turn is fixed to the motherboard.
Look inside the computer at the motherboard if you're not sure what I'm on about.

When I asked if it is loose, I meant is the silver block itself loose - as in not firmly attached to the motherboard?

Closed Thread