Router Connectivity Issue with DMZ & Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElMantiso

Beta member
I'm running a cheap D Link DIR-615 router (supplied by the loving Virgin Media) that uses dynamic IPs every time a user connects, there's six of us all with a number of devices so nobody has the same IP for very long. To get around the issue of my 360 having poor NAT accessibility and never finding any games I gave it a static IP and put it in the routers DMZ to bypass all the security but since doing that everyone has been having trouble connecting to the network. Whenever anyone turns a device off and on they find that the network availability is limited and we have to reboot the router for them to be assigned an IP, even the 360 has the same problem even though it's got a static IP. Using the DMZ has solved my NAT issues but now the connectivity is driving us mad. There's not much point being able to play the 360 online when I have to exit a game every ten minutes to reboot the network for someone.

Anyone ever encountered similar problems when putting their own consoles in the DMZ or giving it a dedicated IP? I'm not sure whether it's the DMZ causing the problem or the fact it has a static IP. I've yet to try turning DMZ off and simply forwarding the ports for that IP but I doubt it'll fix the issue since the problem is that nobody else is given a randomly generated IP and it's more likely that having one static is causing conflict somehow.

lol I hooked my xbox up to my friends wireless internet and his NAT went from 1 to 3 and never went back to 1 and at some point I had DMZ'ed my xbox on his network and now i'm here trying to figure out how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom