Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/datacenter/?p=2182&tag=nl.e040

Calculate IOPS in a storage array
Date: February 12th, 2010
Author: Scott Lowe

What drives storage performance? Is it the iSCSI/Fiber Channel choice? The answer might surprise you. Scott Lowe provides insight into IOPS.

———————————————————————————————-

When it comes to measuring a storage system's overall performance, Input/Output Operations Per Second (IOPS) is still the most common metric in use. There are a number of factors that go into calculating the IOPS capability of an individual storage system.

In this article, I provide introductory information that goes into calculations that will help you figure out what your system can do. Specifically, I explain how individual storage components affect overall IOPS capability. I do not go into seriously convoluted mathematical formulas, but I do provide you with practical guidance and some formulas that might help you in your planning. Here are three notes to keep in mind when reading the article:

Published IOPS calculations aren't the end-all be-all of storage characteristics. Vendors often measure IOPS under only the best conditions, so it's up to you to verify the information and make sure the solution meets the needs of your environment.
IOPS calculations vary wildly based on the kind of workload being handled. In general, there are three performance categories related to IOPS: random performance, sequential performance, and a combination of the two, which is measured when you assess random and sequential performance at the same time.
The information presented here is intended to be very general and focuses primarily on random workloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom