9 Things to Do When You Inherit a Database - sqlservercentral.com - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware > Networking Tips, Tricks & FAQ
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics
Default 9 Things to Do When You Inherit a Database - sqlservercentral.com

9 Things to Do When You Inherit a Database - SQLServerCentral

Quote:
9 Things to Do When You Inherit a Database
By Sylvia Moestl Vasilik, 2010/02/26 (first published: 2009/06/22)
Total article views: 35728 | Views in the last 30 days: 13494

So ... Bob's left the company to move back east, and you're the new lead database developer on the database. Or, the third-party company to which the maintenance has been outsourced is no longer working on it, so it's yours now. One way or another, you need to take over a database system that you had no part in developing. It's not in good shape, and there's not many resources for you to tap.

What do you do?

I've been faced with this situation a few times now, and have developed a list of some of the things that have helped me the most, both in getting productive, and in bringing the database system up to par.
click link for full article. registration required and well worth it. this site has some of the best content I've ever seen.
Closed Thread