Windows XP Desktop Freeze & Other Problems

Dashing

Beta member
Hi there, the following happens immediately after my desktop loads:

My mouse can move but no icons are clickable, the start menu is not clickable and ctrl + alt + delete doesn't work.

This only happened two days ago randomly, nothing out of the ordinary occurred then. It sometimes blue screens every now and then but nothing ever big or refuses to boot up properly and keeps restarting itself.

It's Windows XP Desktop and we've had it for years. I need help really fast because my PeachTree accounting documents for work are on there and I need them before the weekend is over!

If your not able to get into Safe Mode then you have some serious issues. You will then have to download a copy of Ubuntu and boot to the LiveCD of that. From there you will have to copy the data you need to either a USB thumb drive or external hard drive and reinstall Windows.

But what caused this, nothing out of the ordinary was done... can someone give me exact instructions on what to do, I'm not good with computers at all.

There is no way anyone will be able to tell you what caused this. It could be one of a billion things. A bad update, an out of date driver, an out of date program, a conflict of programs, a bad sector on the hard drive or one of a many more. That is the thing with computers, there is never a clear explanation as to why. Without knowing everything you have installed, everything you do daily and every site you visit, it is completely impossible for any of us to sit at our PC at our house and tell you what went wrong with your PC.

As stated you will have to try Safe Mode. See if that works. If not you will have to use Ubuntu to copy your files over.

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

That will give you some insite as to how that is done. I cant really give much more exact instructions than the ones I already have given. The only thing you can do is try what is suggested and see what works and what doesnt.

Back
Top Bottom