"WINDOWS" in the recycling bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattP

Baseband Member
I have noticed that on my desktop the icon for the recycling bin is always showing that there is something that needs to be deleted. However if I open the bin up there is no contents. When I right cick and go to empty it it will give me the pop up asking if I really want to delete "WINDOWS" Also, even if I click yes it will still be full and give me the same message.

I have tried spyware scans on Ad Aware and run a full system scan on Bit Defender but it has done no good. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hmmm...did you accidently delete a vital Windows file, therefore sending that file to Recycle Bin? That MIGHT be the cause of your problem, but I'm not sure.

-Dan The Man

There are several reasons why you get that, due to norton utilites,corrupted recycle bin or even by changing the recycle bin icons.

The simple idea is to delete any files , a small one that is not needed from windows and then open recycle bin and delete that file .

Or even try changing the recycle bin icon from the display properties
Go to Display Properties ->desktop tab->Customize Desktop -> Recycle Bin (empty) icon->change icon->select one->apply.

I got a link to a reg file that fixes this problem , but not sure whether it will work.
here 's the link.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/restorerecyclebin.reg

copy and paste in a notepad and save as 'filename.reg' and doubleclick to execute the registry file

Sig
Codes

The registry didnt do anything noticable and if I change the icon it still says that there is a file in the recycling bin called windows. Also I cant ever recall opening the windows folder or why I would need to so I'm sure I haven't deleted anything important.

MattP,
Then, follow the simple idea that I told you abt, ' deleting a small file.....

I am looking for ways to restore this problem, i will post as soon as i know about this.

Sign
Codes

Edit: updated Bit Defender and it found the problem. Someone can close this if they wish, thanks again for the help everyone.

MattP,

I am having the exact problem, could you tell me what exactly bid defender found. I don't have bit defender, I use Norton anitvirus. Is it a virus? could you provide more detail?

What edition of Norton, what operating system, and updates do you have? That helps us answer your questions. Liz

Symantec Corp ver. 8.00.9374
Win XP Pro SP1

After reading other forums about this same problem, which just recommened rebooting, the problem has seemed to go away. I was really interested in hearing from MattP because he described the exact problem and then had a solution for it. Thought he could shed more light on this for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom