Windows Live Messanger causes a download popup

Status
Not open for further replies.

talaan

Solid State Member
This problem has been reported on the Windows website: a download box pops up asking me to download something from crtv.mate1.com
however, there is no solution given

I downloaded Windows Live messenger a few days ago along with Windows Live Essentials. If I leave the messenger running (such as over night) a popup will appear and ask to download a .swf file from a dating website crtv.mate1.com. If I close the messenger, the download window goes away too.

I have seen questions regarding this problem on many other forums and some people suspect it to be an advertisement that hasn't loaded correctly. The forum techs were still treating it as possible malware and having their customer run combofixer and all sorts of things. I think it is completely tied with Windows Live.

Is anyone else familiar with this situation and/or have insight as to why this download appears only when Windows Live Messenger is running?

€You've mighta caught some spyware as I leave mine on and never get it.

Is it in a message? Try setting your settings to only on your list. Its in the privecy tab.

As Paton says, it is an infection. Either one of your contacts or you are infected.

Windows Live Messenger service pushes ads to your Live Messenger windows. The ad from mate1.com requires you to have the current version of Adobe Flash player for Internet Explorer installed on your computer. If the latest Flash player isn't installed for Internet Explorer, then the Live Messenger window will try to save the SWF file on your hard disk. To resolve this issue, launch Internet Explorer and download, then install, the current version of the Adobe Flash player.

I get no ads at all. APatch is a wonderful thing.

There just little rotating thingys at the bottom of messanger... Don't even read them.... or usually notice them.

I remember seeing them. But to avoid such things as the issue brought up here, use APtach to remove all Ads and well just about all the junk installed with WLM and have it be used as just an IM client and issue resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom